Skip to main content

Review: Recipe for Love by Katie Fforde



Blurb from Goodreads:
Take one aspiring cook.

When Zoe Harper wins a coveted place in a televised cookery competition, she can’t wait to put her cooking skills to the test.

Add a very desirable judge.

But as the competition heats up, she realises she’s developing an inconvenient crush on one of the judges, the truly delicious Gideon Irving.

Stir in a heaped tablespoon of romance.

All too soon there’s more than canapés, cupcakes and cordon bleu at stake.

Will Zoe win the competition, or is Gideon one temptation too far?
My Review:
 
Although this was my least favorite of the three re-released books for kindle by Katie Fforde this summer, I still enjoyed this one.  This book is essentially a romance taking place between a contestant and a judge on a cooking reality show: think Top Chef meets The Great British Bake Off.  It was fun with the reality show stress, the cooking, the setting (the English countryside) and the characters.  The romance did seem a bit rushed and on warp speed.  Also, there were a few sub-plots that I thought were not necessary and were SO over the top but this was a fun and mindless sort of read for when you're in the mood for such a thing (I am sometimes)!

You can read my reviews of the other re-released Katie Fforde's HERE and HERE.  I definitely recommend this author for fans of British contemporary women's literature/romance.  If you're looking for other romance behind the scenes of a reality show, I loved Welcome to Paradise by Rosalind James.  For more British cooking romance, The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella is fun! Recipe for Love comes out later this week on September 13, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
Zoe worked out that she'd have to make at least a hundred choux buns and after discussion with Fenella decided to fill them with flavored cream and stick them together with caramel.  She'd find some pink flowers or rose petals to finish the decoration.  That sort of dramatic pudding might be just what she'd needed for the final challenge.

Comments

  1. I really like the vintage look of the cover, though I have to admit it's an odd choice for a book based clearly on cooking, which BTW, you had me at the Great British Bake Off comparison -- I love that show and anything that resembles it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you still had fun and liked this even if it wasn't your favorite of from the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The description makes the book sound enjoyable. It's a shame that it has insta-love. I can't stand warp-speed relationships. It's just too unrealistic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried to read some books by Fforde before and I couldn't get into them but this one sounds like a good one. Something I'd enjoy. I love foodie books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a romance in a setting of a cooking show...sign me up....I love food and love hehe Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at cooking show!! Glad you enjoyed this one even if it wasn't your favorite from her rereleased stuff. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went thru a phase 10-12 years ago where I was way into brit chick lit/brit women's fiction. I was gobbling up Marian Keyes, Jane Green, Lisa Jewell, Anna Maxted, etc. Katie Fforde is one I never tried, though. Even though this one isn't your favorite, I like the sound of the cooking show! I might have to give this one a try... or *something* by Fforde.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to try this author's books. I love the setting for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so good! I don't think the romance would make me like this book. It would put me off completely.
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?