Skip to main content

Review: She's My Kind of Girl (Something New #4.5) by Jennifer Dawson



Blurb from Goodreads:
In high school, they’d burned fast and hot. Now is their chance to find out if the sparks that linger will ignite a whole new flame.

The only thing Darcy Miller ever wanted more than gorgeous troublemaker Griffin Strong was to shake off the dust of small-town Revival, Illinois, and head to the big city—even if she had to leave him behind. Ten years later, Darcy is the ultimate New Yorker, writing a sex blog and living on designer cocktails and the pulse of urban life. That is, until she hears that Revival plans to seize her mother’s house right after the holidays, thanks to the new mayor—who is none other than Darcy’s ex… 

Griffin couldn’t have asked for a more dangerous Christmas gift. Curvy, sassy Darcy is every bit as delectable as the wild child she was in high school—and just as determined to stir up problems. But Griffin learned long ago to straighten up and fly right in order to make changes in the town he loves. Keeping his reputation wholesome is a big part of that. If only Darcy didn’t make him want to take his place on the naughty list with her, right under the mistletoe… 
My Review:
 
Had I known this was a novella, I may have reconsidered requesting it because it was one of those romances that felt like it was over (all wrapped up) before it even began but I still enjoyed this and, considering it was a second-chance romance, the novella worked well. I had seen Nick talk about this author (p.s. follow her romance blog for all things romance) so I knew I would probably like this one but I hadn't expected it to be quite as hot as it was (this is a good thing!).  The holiday aspect was definitely light in this book compared to other holiday romances but, again, it worked. I loved Griffin and Darcy together and the ending was so good!

She's My Kind of Girl came out earlier this week on September 27, 2016 and you can purchase HERE. I definitely recommend this one if you're looking for a short, steamy and fun holiday second chance romance -- definitely going to check out more of this author's work!
If it were an option, he would drag her into the storage closet, where the nice ladies of Revival kept all their extra supplies, and take her up against a wall. In the ten minutes since he'd spotted her he'd literally thought of about a hundred depraved things he wanted to do with her.  
None of them were nice.
None of them were appropriate.   
None of them were befitting the town mayor.

Comments

  1. I am not a huge fan of novellas but glad this one worked for you. I have to check out this author!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that this was a novella either, but I thought it was done well too. I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Book 3 in this series is my favorite! You should check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this would be a good one to read this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds perfect for when you need something quick and fun. I love second chance romances so I may need to check this one out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't often go for novellas (unless it's part of a series that I really love) for the very reason you mentioned - there just doesn't seem to be enough time to really develop a story. By the time the MC's start to get together, BOOM it's over. Even so, it sounds like this was a good one and you found an author that you want to read more from! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have liked a longer story as well, although Dawson does manage a complete story. Yes for a little heat and those conversations over dinner...whew!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?