Skip to main content

Review: A Summer at Sea by Katie Fforde



Blurb from Goodreads:
Emily is happy with her life just as it is. 

She has a career as a midwife that she loves . She enjoys living on her own as a single woman. But she also feels it’s time for a change and a spot of some sea air.

So when her best friend Rebecca asks whether she’d like to spend the summer cooking on a ‘puffer’ boat just off the Scottish coast, she jumps at the chance.

But she barely has time to get to grips with the galley before she finds herself with a lot on her plate.

Rebecca is heavily pregnant and is thrilled to have her friend on board doing most of the work. Then there’s Emily’s competitive and jealous kitchen assistant who thinks she should be head-cook, not Emily.

And there’s Alasdair, the handsome local doctor who Emily is desperately trying not to notice.

Because if she falls in love with him, as he appears to be falling for her, will she ever want her old life back again? 
My Review:
 
I am loving all of these re-releases of Katie Fforde's books!  I think these are older book and that they've been given updated covers and are now coming out on kindle. You can read a recent review of one of these other re-releases HERE.  But getting back to A Summer at Sea --  this one was so fun, so heart-warming!  I loved the setting in Scotland and on the water in the 'puffer' (boat) and I really, really loved Alasdair -- the incredibly warm and HOT single-dad and doctor that provided swoon after swoon.  This was just such a great story -- perfect for light summer reading: romantic, fun, not a trope you read in every other contemporary romance and just such a delight!

Definitely recommend this to fans of contemporary romance; this is set in Scotland and does not disappoint!  Summer at Sea comes out later this month on August 12, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
'So, do you want the job?' she asked when Emily had finished describing it.   
'If it wasn't here, I'd love it!' said Emily. 'It'll be varied, I'd be learning lot of new stuff for the health visitor aspect of it.  And I think they could learn a lot from me on the maternity side.  But it is here.' 
'And what's wrong with "here"?' 
'Oh, Bec, you know! It's Alasdair! He's in every blade of grass and bell of heather. And sorry if that sounds like a cheesy song lyric.  I'm not over him and if I was up here it would take me far longer to do it.  I'd be constantly worrying that I was going to see him or yearning to see him.  My head would be a mess.  I need to go back home and find a man who wants children, who wants me! Not hanker after a man who never will want me.'

Comments

  1. Scotland and a swoony hero? I'm so in, Eva! I know I would devour this one just from your review! I hadn't heard of this author, but I'm glad her books are being re-released on Kindle.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful summer read!! Love stories set in Scotland. Will have to check this out and others by the author! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds wonderful, and I'm in the mood for a Summer romance. The setting of Scotland is just icing on the cake. Wonderful review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like it would be fun and light. I've never read one of her books, but I love the books I've read that were set in Scotland. Don't you love it when a book just works for you at the right time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the kind of romance I need to be reading! I just had a bad experience with Ugly Love and I need cheering up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I love it when you get re releases of older books!!! And this is a great cover. Most new covers I am not always impressed with. I love heartwarming stories...and set in Scotland, sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to go to Scotland to have a summer by the sea! NODS. That cover is just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such a fun summer/beach read. I've yet to read anything by Fforde even though I've seen her books around for years. And the Scotland setting in this one makes it even more interesting to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sign me up for this! Thanks to Outlander, I'm obsessed with Scotland and add to that all the swoon feels?! Um yes please!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?