Skip to main content

Review: A Song to Take the World Apart by Zan Romanoff



Blurb from Goodreads:
What if you could make someone love you back, just by singing to them?

Hanging out with Chris was supposed to make Lorelei’s life normal. He’s cooler, he’s older, and he’s in a band, which means he can teach her about the music that was forbidden in her house growing up. Her grandmother told her when she was little that she was never allowed to sing, but listening to someone else do it is probably harmless— right?

The more she listens, though, the more keenly she can feel her own voice locked up in her throat, and how she longs to use it. And as she starts exploring the power her grandmother never wanted her to discover, influencing Chris and everyone around her, the foundations of Lorelei’s life start to crumble. There’s a reason the women in her family never want to talk about what their voices can do.

And a reason Lorelei can’t seem to stop herself from singing anyway.  
My Review:
 
This started off so good!  I really liked the feel of this when I first started reading it but that feeling was a bit misleading.  I liked Lorelei as a Sophomore with a crush on Chris, the lead singer of a local band (and a Senior at her high school).  I liked her anticipation of going to shows and of little interactions with Chris in the hallway.  The real problem with this book was when the magical realism started to happen. This book is loosely based and/or has elements of the Sirens myth and when those elements started becoming a part of the story, they were not explained well enough/described with sufficient accuracy as so to actually be interesting or a realistic narrative.  Still, even considering that, I liked this more than most probably will. I really liked Lorelei and her twin brothers, Nik and Jens.  They were well flushed out characters for me and I liked reading about their lives without any of the mythology. I seriously wish this had just been a straight up contemporary YA -- trying to infuse the paranormal/mythology just muddied it up and, ultimately, didn't help this book.

I think this book is described a contemporary YA with magical realism -- that is fairly accurate but I'm not sure to what I would compare this.  I did have definite vibes of both Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys) by Amy Spalding (LA + band vibes) and My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent (not knowing what you are/paranormal vibes) so you may want to give this a try if you're a fan of either.  A Song to Take the World Apart comes out today September 13, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
She didn't recognize the gentle lick of warmth in her belly as want. She only knew that it was unfamiliar, the way the sensation lit her up. That was the day she discovered why they call it longing: because desire is full of distance and unfilled space.

Comments

  1. From the blurb it sounded like it could be odd or really good. Sounds like it's a mix. I can't decide if I'm interested or not ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so interested in the story the way you described it but it stinks the mythology part wasn't explained enough. Still I think I might add it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sirens is a story I haven't seen often, if ever, retold. I'm sorry that part didn't work in the book, because the plot sounds pretty wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a previous commentor, I've also not seen many books featuring sirens. It's a shame that the author didn't put enough thought and details into the mythology. Glad you still enjoyed it for the most point though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this one before but love the cover, title, and blurb. It really is an interest premise. I love mythology and think I might like this one, but I would also want the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer to hear the magical element sort of diminished the story. Glad to hear you enjoyed it overall. Wonderful review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes adding in other elements doesn't work very well for a story. Sorry to hear this didn't meet up expectations as much as you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm, sounds like it would have been just fine, if not better, without the paranormal/mythology element. Me + magical realism have not got along, unfortunately. I can handle fantasy once in a while, and I love contemporary, but when the two blend into magical realism... nope, not a fan. Apparently I'm a total purist. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even just reading your review, I know this isn't one I'll get on board with. I recently read Cloudwish by Fiona Wood, and the protagonist wished for a boy to notice her, and it happened. That is just straight contemporary and I would have hated for the story to veer in another direction. Even though I like magical realism, I don't think this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That synopsis and that cover are just TOO GOOD! However, I don't think this is my kind of read- especially since you say this should have just stuck to being contemporary instead of the magical realism touch. I don't normally pick up such books, so if I do, they just *have* to be really good, LOL :D Great review, Eva!

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  11. This kind of sounds like a cute read! I didn't even know this book existed. I think despite your issues with it, I'd like to give it a try. Lovely review!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm. I don't think I would get along with this book. At first I was thinking I'd pass because I just am not a huge music-in-books fan, but I am also generally not a fan of magical realism, so those are two pretty big strikes haha. Glad you at least sort of enjoyed it! Great review as always ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. The plot sounds great, and I'm getting more into magical realism everyday

    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?