Skip to main content

Mini Reviews: At the Edge and The Edge of Surrender by Laura Griffin



Blurb from Goodreads:
When Emma Wright’s government plane goes down over the Philippine jungle, she’s forced to survive alone until an ultra-elite SEAL team goes in after her. As the leader of Alpha Crew, Ryan Owen is no stranger to challenges, but he’s never tackled anything quite like this sexy, smart, and resourceful woman. The mission is to get Emma home safely, but danger is everywhere, and Ryan’s unexpected desire for Emma could be a deadly distraction.

Back home in California, Ryan’s mission is over—but Emma’s has just begun. She knows her plane crash was no accident, and she’s determined to uncover the truth about what happened—even if her quest for answers puts her at risk. Torn between duty and desire, Ryan searches for a way win Emma’s heart while protecting her from an invisible enemy who wants her dead.

The thrilling conclusion to this Alpha Crew romance is just weeks away! 
My Review:
 
After reading Rachel's review from Waves of Fiction, I decided to give this series a try.  I love romantic suspense and other series involving SEALs are some of my favorites.  I hadn't read anything by Laura Griffin prior to these books but I am definitely going to check out her backlist now!  These books are both super short and make really good companions for a sort of seamless story.  In book 1, Emma is rescued by Ryan and his team of SEALs but neither can stop thinking about each other even weeks after the rescue.  And, at the same time, Emma has serious questions about what caused the plane she was on to crash . . . cue Emma and Ryan's second meeting state-side. And the sparks flew!  Even though this was fast paced, it never felt like insta-love!  Ryan is totally swoony and I was definitely rooting for both Ryan and Emma to figure out their feelings for each other, and quick!
She stared up at his dark silhouette, wishing she could see his eyes. Maybe it was adrenaline or the prospect of death.  She put her hands on his neck, but she didn't stop there.  She slid her fingers into the thick softness of his hair and did what she'd been dying to do all night.  
She kissed him.


Blurb from Goodreads:
Ryan had one job: keep Emma safe at all costs. But after a night of passion, Emma takes off and Ryan soon realizes he’s not the only one looking for her. Can he figure out who’s after the beautiful government aide, and why, before she falls into the wrong hands… if she hasn’t already?

Emma’s fighting to get justice for her fallen comrades, but she can’t do it alone. She needs Ryan’s help, but that means trusting him--and dealing with the out-of-control desire blazing between them. Can there be any future for a marked woman and a man trained to kill? She hopes they live long enough to find out…
My Review:
I'm so glad I had both books to read back to back because book 1 ended on a major cliffy.  In book 2, the suspense kicks up as does the connection between Ryan and Emma.  While I almost feel like the entire story was a bit too short and wrapped up too quickly, I appreciated the fast paced nature and there was no lack of chemistry and steamy scenes.  I'm curious to read other books by this author because these two were so seamless and fun to read!  
His mouth crushed down on hers, cutting off all words, all thought.  There was only him, and his lips and his taste and the perfect feel of his body pinning her.  He braced her there, keeping her on her feet even when her legs felt like limp noodles and her head felt so dizzy she didn't know her own name.
These books are easy to devour and now that they are both out, you can do so!  I definitely recommend to fans of romantic suspense/military romance.  I was slightly reminded of one of my favorite books, Out of Control by Suzanne Brockmann, while reading this -- it's the fourth book from her Troubleshooters series (also involving SEALs) but definitely can be read as a standalone.  For more romance with a jungle rescue, I also recommend Midnight Rainbow by my favorite Linda Howard.  For more special ops romance, the T-FLac series by Cherry Adair is awesome.  The Edge of Surrender came out this week on March 28, 2016 while At The Edge came out earlier this month, and I definitely loved both!

Comments

  1. I haven't read anything by this author either. These sound like good quick reads and good to know to read them together. Great reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews - I'm glad you liked them! These books were perfect for when I was getting into a book funk. Quick and entertaining. I LOVE this author, and highly recommend reading Deep Dark!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen these books around! I don't normally like books that are continuous series, but I need to check these out because the romance sound great. I'm glad you enjoyed them, Eva! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the second blogger I've seen who loves Griffin's books. I'm starting to see that I'm missing something. I really should get to her books sometime this year because I love Romantic Suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I'm so happy to see you enjoyed these, Eva! I want to get to Laura's other work soon as well. I've never read Midnight Rainbow by Linda Howard, but I just checked and my library has the audiobook ready for download! I'm getting it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave it to me to find a Linda Howard to recommend in every review haha

      Delete
  6. These sound fast-paced and a lot of fun! I don't think I've read anything from the "SEAL team" or "elite force" sub-genre. But I do love me some good Alpha males and I'm guessing this genre is full of them. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reviews! I'm so glad you liked these. I don't think they are for me, but they do sound good lol. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?