Skip to main content

Monday Musts: Dear Mr. Knightley, Prince & Bookish Links


Monday Musts is a weekly event, started and hosted by Jessica @ Lovin' Los Libros, which asks you to highlight your must read, must listen and must see!

MUST READ!
Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay



From Goodreads:
Dear Mr. Knightley is a contemporary epistolary novel with a delightful dash of Jane Austen.

Samantha Moore survived years of darkness in the foster care system by hiding behind her favorite characters in literature, even adopting their very words. Her fictional friends give her an identity, albeit a borrowed one. But most importantly, they protect her from revealing her true self and encountering more pain.

After college, Samantha receives an extraordinary opportunity. The anonymous “Mr. Knightley” offers her a full scholarship to earn her graduate degree at the prestigious Medill School of Journalism. The sole condition is that Sam write to Mr. Knightley regularly to keep him apprised of her progress.

As Sam’s true identity begins to reveal itself through her letters, her heart begins to soften to those around her—a damaged teenager and fellow inhabitant of Grace House, her classmates at Medill, and, most powerfully, successful novelist Alex Powell. But just as Sam finally begins to trust, she learns that Alex has secrets of his own—secrets that, for better or for worse, make it impossible for Sam to hide behind either her characters or her letters.
After Eligible bummed me out, I want to re-read Dear Mr. Knightley: love this epistolary novel.


MUST LISTEN!


Prince - Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?  (live 01/30/82)


I am still so, so sad about Prince's death . . . no words.

MUST SEE!
This space is dedicated to my favorite book blog posts every week since I don't do weekly recaps (I don't have the patience) and there are always posts that I LOVE!
What are your Monday Musts??

Comments

  1. I'm still in shock over Prince's death, too. :(

    You are the first person I've seen to say anything about Dear Mr. Knightly and to say that it's a must read means it must be really great. I loved Jane Austen books I read back in college. I'll have to put this one on the back burner, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of Dear Mr. Knightly before. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out on that one. It sounds really interesting. Time to go check out some links! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe R.I.P. Prince. So many good celebs are passing this year. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slightly on topic to your must read - I bought the audio for Pride and Prejudice because you always talk about it and I need to get in on all the retellings!!! Also so sad about Prince.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing all of these lovely posts with us! I read a few of them already, especially the one from Nick! And yes! They are playing his music all over the radio. :( IT'S SO SAADDDDD. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I just love any book with a Jane Austen theme---love them. And so sad about Prince...such a music legend and so talented, so neat he could change his voice to suit a certain song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ended up borrowing The Raven Boys since I've never read this series and I obviously need to start ASAP.
    Dear Mr. Knightley! I have to look for it somewhere!
    I agree on the trailer for The Girl on the Train. I hope the movie is good though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mr Knightley sounds wonderful, adding it to my TBR now which really translates into stalking Amazon for a copy :) and I feel your pain, I was so shocked and saddened last week by Prince's passing. I have SO many wonderful memories growing up listening to his music OMGosh I tear up anytime I think about it. For my "must listen" I chose Purple Rain since it will forever hold a very special place in my heart. Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Prince performance was awesome! I don't know why but when I load up your page, I get a bunch of messages from Photobucket saying, "Your image was linked incorrectly". It is plastered all over your page so that I can not really read anything. But the Prince video is fine (angels?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why, but that cover of Dear Mr. Knightley reminded me of Roald Dahl for an instant there. Haven't read anything by this author before, but I'm always ready for an MC who's a bookworm, and this one sure is one! I'm yet to read The Girl on the Train, but that movie trailer doesn't even make me want to pick up the book :D Great post, Eva- and thanks for the links!:))

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  11. OHHHH, I want this to be Pride and Prejduice like... but it's not is it? Still, it sounds utterly wonderfully lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was really shocking to hear about Prince. A fellow teacher came in during lunch and told us the news. I wasn't a HUGE Prince fan, but I definitely enjoyed some of his music and recognize his talent and legacy. I've never heard of Dear Mr. Knightley, but I'm definitely intrigued by that blurb!

    Thanks for sharing Eva!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?