Skip to main content

Review: The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding



Blurb from Goodreads:
A ridiculously cute, formerly-famous new guy dropping into your life? It's practically every girl's dream. 

But not Jules McCallister-Morgan's. 

I realize that on paper I look like your standard type-A, neurotic, overachiever. And maybe I am. But I didn't get to be the editor of my school's long-revered newspaper by just showing up*. I have one main goal for my senior year-early acceptance into my first choice Ivy League college-and I will not be deterred by best friends, moms who think I could stand to "live a little," or boys. 

At least, that was the plan before I knew about Alex Powell**.

And before Alex Powell betrayed me***.

I know what you're thinking: Calm down, Jules. But you don't understand. This stuff matters. This is my life. And I'm not going down without a fight. 

----

* Okay, I sort of did. But it's a sore subject.

** I mean, I guess everyone knows about Alex Powell? Two years ago, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about viral video boy band sensation Chaos 4 All. Two years ago, Alex Powell was famous.

***Some people think I'm overreacting. But this. Means. War.

Filled with romance, rivalry, and passive-aggressive dog walking, Amy Spalding delivers a hilariously relatable high school story that's sure to have you falling for The New Guy.
My Review:
 
This was fine -- not amazing but not bad.  It was cute and predictable and fun.  I liked Jules at first but then she became a really bad friend even though she was surrounded by people that were so good to her and such good friends.  Alex was ok -- there was definitely insta-like without much explanation on his part but it worked and he and Jules were super cute together.  I don't have any real complaints about this one except that I probably won't remember it in a month.

I would recommend this to anyone that likes cute YA.  There was nothing exceptional about this one but it was cute and a quick read.  I definitely don't read very much YA anymore but I recently really liked In Real Life, released earlier this year.  This one also reminded me of Smart Girls Get What They Want.  And, if you're looking for more YA involving the new guy being a celebrity, Unmaking Hunter Kennedy is one of my all time favorites!  The New Guy came out earlier this week on April 5, 2016, and you can purchase HERE!  
As we walk back to my car and I drive to my house, I keep thinking of ways I could kiss him.  It's not that I in any way feel qualified to make the first move, but my lips are actually tingling.  Even my lips know that maybe it's time.   

Comments

  1. Ugh! I hate that she became such a terrible friend! It does sound cute though, so maybe one day if I'm in the mood!
    Great review, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was sounds cute but kind of forgettable. I haven't heard of Unmaking Hunter Kennedy so I'm about to go check that one out. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently added this one to my shelf but now I think I'll push it back for a while. Her not being a good friend can be a huge downside for me. I do love cute stories so we'll see :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo to her being a bad friend. Still I love cute and predictable sometimes. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also gave this a 3 stars (I think). I totally agree, it was alright, but I definitely did not remember much about this book soon after reading it. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read similar reviews, so I'm pretty certain that I'll read this only if I feel like reading something cute. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds pretty cute but I know what you mean about really predictable books that you'll forget in a month's time. Thanks for the review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this sounds cute but it depends on how predictable it is for how much I enjoy a story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute and predictable and fun is exactly what I need after a tiresome day. Have you read her The Reece Malcolm List? I’ve read it several years ago; it was good. And I love how you put your recs at the end of your reviews! (though my huge tbr-list probably is not happy). I love romance with a celebrity trope, I’ll check out Unmaking Hunter Kennedy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one does sound cute, but I'm not sure it would be for me. I don't mind predictable books sometimes, but not if they are just okay. Thank for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just complaining to Nick this morning that I'm tired of all the cutesy YA books. Where are all the really good YA contemps with super intense romances like I'll Meet You There, Such a Rush. I want to be consumed by the romance, even if it is YA. Sorry for the mini rant :)

    Glad you still liked this at least!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a cute read despite the instalove. But yeah, I know what you mean about predictable YA romances and forgetting it in like a month! But also, sometimes it's nice to read those quick, cute stories, haha.
    Thanks for the review, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty much if I don't like cute and predictable, I should probably move along? I just can't do fluffy and silly these days. Someone should be stabbed or something to spice it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one does sound cute, but I'm not the biggest YA contemp fan so I'm not sure this is one for me. Glad you enjoyed if though it wasnt memorable =]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not really into cutesy, fluffy type of reads, so I already know that I'll be passing this one up. I have a good friend that read this book earlier this month, and she had the exact problems with the story that you've mentioned. I'm a fan of YA, but yeahhh this would probably get DNF'd by me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not really into cutesy, fluffy type of reads, so I already know that I'll be passing this one up. I have a good friend that read this book earlier this month, and she had the exact problems with the story that you've mentioned. I'm a fan of YA, but yeahhh this would probably get DNF'd by me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes a cute, quick read is just what I'm looking for. I loved Unmaking Hunter Kennedy too!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?