Skip to main content

Review: Island In The Sea: A Majorca Love Story by Anita Hughes



Blurb from Goodreads:
A romance between an ambitious young music executive and the aging celebrity song writer who is 18 months overdue on his latest delivery.
My Review:
 
The description of this book is seriously misleading!  From reading that description, you would think that this is a love story (heck, you should think that even from the title!)  And that's where you'd be wrong -- for almost the entire book, the MC Juliet (the "ambitious young music executive") is cozying up to a tennis player from New Zealand.  It isn't until the last 20% of the book that she decides (somehow) that she is in love with a song writer -- despite absolutely no indications in the rest of the book that she has any romantic interest in this guy, she slips and falls and he helps her up and she decides she's in love!  Very bizarre.  I felt a bit blindsided.  The one saving grace in this book is the setting -- I want to visit Majorca so much!  But I didn't really need to know every single stitch of clothing each person wore, every morsel of food they ate and, again, the daily spritz of perfume.

Unfortunately, the only other book I've read by Anita Hughes, Rome in Love, was also a bust for me and for many of the same reasons -- I can't seem to jive with her third person POV, which tells rather than shows.  I can't say that I would recommend this one -- I would instead read Elin Hilderbrand, Nancy Thayer, or Rosalind James for contemporary summer island romance.  Island in the Sea comes out next weekApril 16, 2016, and you can purchase HERE!  
"Don't tell me you are in a long distance relationship filled with Skype session and endless texts."  Lionel sighed.  "The fastest way to end the human race is to conduct love affairs through a metallic device that AutoCorrects every original thought."

Comments

  1. Oh, my! I definitely would have thought romance, love story, etc. from the cover AND the title. I'm so bad to judge a book by its cover, and this is one I would have picked up thinking that it would slay me. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but two for two on the author's books? At least you gave the author's work another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is extremely misleading! I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I would feel totally misled by this one... and probably be annoyed by it. The cover and title scream summer romance. At least it had a great setting! Sounds like you've given this author a fair shot and it hasn't gone well.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would have really bummed me out to pick this up and then not get a love story. Thanks so much for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sure sounds like it sucks. I won't even give it a second glance. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate telling instead of showing. Really an annoying way of storytelling. This doesn't sound like my kind of story. Focusing on one romance for 80% of the book only to switch the last 20%? No thanks. Sorry to hear this was a dud. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you and Kathy, this book totally sounds like it would have more romance than it did. The 'romance' that was there doesn't sound like it would work for me either. I need some build-up so that I can feel something. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?