Skip to main content

Review: Say Yes to the Death (Debutante Dropout #6) by Susan McBride



Blurb from Goodreads:
Someone old, someone cruel


Debutante dropout Andrea Kendricks is beyond done with big hair, big gowns, and big egos—so being dragged to a high-society Texas wedding by her socialite mama, Cissy, gives her a bad case of déjà vu. As does running into her old prep-school bully, Olivia La Belle, the wedding planner, who's graduated to berating people for a living on her reality TV show. But for all the times Andy wished her dead, nobody deserves Olivia's fate: lying in a pool of blood, a cake knife in her throat—but did the angry baker do it?



Millicent Draper, the grandmotherly owner of Millie's Cakes, swears she's innocent, and Andy believes her. Unfortunately, the cops don't. Though Andy's fiancé, lawyer Brian Malone, is handling Millie's case, she's determined to spring Millie herself. But where to start? "La Belle from Hell" had enemies galore. Good thing Andy has a BFF who's a reporter— and a blue-blood mother who likes to pull strings.
My Review:
 
I love this series!  I was very excited when I heard that a sixth book was going to come out after the cliffhangers from book 5 and it didn't disappoint!  I love the progression of the relationship between Andy and her mother, Cissy, throughout this series, too.  This book not only progresses all the characters in the series but was fast-faced, fun, and included a great mystery.  Everything is always bigger in Texas, including the weddings!


I definitely recommend this for anyone that likes murder mysteries with a comedic twist.  This series and the Dead-End Job series by Elaine Viets are my two favorites -- they never disappoint!!


Say Yes to the Death came out today, September 29, 2015, and you can purchase HERE!
Dusk had fallen, and the fairy lights winked around me like lightning bugs.  Candelabra centerpieces had been lit upon the tables, and there was a soft golden glow all around.  I found myself wishing Malone were with me instead of my mother.  The atmosphere was rather romantic, and I got a flutter in my chest, imagining what my big day would be like.  I wasn't a girl who'd spent her life cutting pictures of frothy white gowns or floral arrangements out of magazines.  I didn't know what I wanted in terms of guest, food, or flowers.  I wasn't my mother.  I didn't have a detailed plan for everything.  

Comments

  1. Oh I haven't heard of this series but it sounds like fun! Will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this book sounds really awesome! A mystery with a comical element is EXACTLY what I love!! The fact that it's a series scares me a bit... especially since it's number 6. Do I really need to read the prior books to read this one? It sounds like it, since you mentioned the cliffhanger ending. But this sounds so good - maybe I'll need to just start with book 1 and give it a go! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?