Skip to main content

Review: My Mrs. Brown by William Norwich



Blurb from Goodreads:
Sometimes a dress isn’t just a dress.

Emilia Brown is a woman of a certain age. She has spent a frugal, useful, and wholly restrained life in Ashville, a small town in Rhode Island. Overlooked especially by the industries of fashion and media, Mrs. Brown is one of today’s silent generations of women whose quiet no-frills existences would make them seem invisible. She is a genteel woman who has known her share of personal sorrows and quietly carried on, who makes a modest living cleaning and running errands at the local beauty parlor, who delights in evening chats with her much younger neighbor, twenty-three-year-old Alice Danvers.

When the grand dame of Ashville passes away, Mrs. Brown is called upon to inventory her estate and comes across a dress that changes everything. This isn’t a Cinderella confection; it’s a simple yet exquisitely tailored Oscar de la Renta sheath and jacket—a suit that Mrs. Brown realizes, with startling clarity, will say everything she has ever wished to convey. She must have it. And so Mrs. Brown begins her odyssey to purchase the dress. For not only is the owning of the Oscar de la Renta a must, the intimidating trip to purchase it on Madison Avenue is essential as well. If the dress is to give Mrs. Brown a voice, then she must prepare by making the daunting journey—both to the emerald city and within herself.

Timeless, poignant, and appealing, My Mrs. Brown is a novel for every mother in the world, every woman who ever wanted the perfect dress, and every child who wanted to give it to her. 
My Review:
Have you ever wanted something so much that it literally kept you up at night and drove you to the point of distraction? This book follows the life and quest of Mrs. Brown -- a seemingly mousy and older cleaning woman who falls in love with a timeless Oscar de la Renta dress despite all the odds, and the universe conspires along with her hard work to make it hers.  The thing that first comes to my mind is that it was so charming!! Mrs. Brown may be one of my all time favorite characters -- she is so good, so virtuous and to have something so beautiful happen to her, even though it's something small in the grand scheme of life worked for me.  It may sound silly for a book to be about an odyssey for a dress but this was so well done and it made me think of so many things related to fashion, aging and being an older woman.  The world takes you for granted at some point -- the world doesn't create for you -- but Mrs. Brown becomes this beacon in the face of that reality.  Loved it!

My Mrs. Brown came out last week on April 12, 2016, you can purchase HERE, and I definitely recommend this to fans of fashion or anyone who has ever wanted something so much that you would do anything to have it (in the best possible way).
Two dresses: one was an orange-yellow floral silk caftan-style evening dress with bell-shaped long sleeves and a V-neck.  But as beautiful as it was, the confection did not capture Mrs. Brown's attention as much as the other dress did.  This was a sleeveless black dress and a single-button jacket made of the finest quality wool crepe.   
Its correctness was so very alluring.  Suggesting endless possibilities and the certainty of outcomes if one would only wear this dress.  The richness of the affect of this suit, its elegance and poise, was the work of a master.   
It was the strangest thing, even in her youth, never had a dress, or any other item of clothing, spoken to Mrs. Brown this way, a garment so regal—so "grown up" she'd later explain in one of her letters to Mrs. Foxso exquisitely tailored and, somehow, thoroughly reassuring.   
Why wasn't all of life designed this way?

Comments

  1. I read this and just went AW the entire time. It's just lovely and I know exactly what you mean about wanting something good to happen to someone like Mrs B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t heard about this book before, Eva. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like such a fun book. I can't help but think of the "is it blue or is it black" dress drama that swept the internet when I see this book. I would really like to read this one; it seems like a good recovery book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing this cover but wound up not requesting. Sounds wonderful though and something I would probably love. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable concept! I love that it features an older main character too. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Eva.
    Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very lovely. This could be an ode to under- appreciated women everywhere. Glad this was such a delight for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely different but sounds simply fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a must read. Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?