Skip to main content

Waiting on Wednesday: Moonglow by Michael Chabon

 "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that you are eagerly anticipating.

Today, I am waiting on:  
Moonglow by Michael Chabon



From Goodreads:
In 1989, fresh from the publication of his first novel, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Michael Chabon traveled to his mother’s home in Oakland, California to visit his terminally ill grandfather. Tongue loosened by powerful painkillers, memory stirred by the imminence of death, Chabon’s grandfather shared recollections and told stories the younger man had never heard before, uncovering bits and pieces of a history long buried and forgotten. That dreamlike week of revelations forms the basis for the novel Moonglow, the latest feat of legerdemain in the ongoing magic act that is the art of Michael Chabon. 

Moonglow unfolds as the deathbed confession, made to his grandson, of a man the narrator refers to only as “my grandfather.” It is a tale of madness, of war and adventure, of sex and desire and ordinary love, of existential doubt and model rocketry, of the shining aspirations and demonic underpinnings of American technological accomplishment at mid-century and, above all, of the destructive impact—and the creative power—of the keeping of secrets and the telling of lies. A gripping, poignant, tragicomic, scrupulously researched and wholly imaginary transcript of a life that spanned the dark heart of the twentieth century, Moonglow is also a tour de force of speculative history in which Chabon attempts to reconstruct the mysterious origins and fate of Chabon Scientific, Co., an authentic mail-order novelty company whose ads for scale models of human skeletons, combustion engines and space rockets were once a fixture in the back pages of Esquire, Popular Mechanics, and Boy’s Life. Along the way Chabon devises and reveals, in bits and pieces whose hallucinatory intensity is matched only by their comic vigor and the radiant moonglow of his prose, a secret history of his own imagination.

From the Jewish slums of prewar South Philadelphia to the invasion of Germany, from a Florida retirement village to the penal utopia of New York’s Wallkill Prison, from the heyday of the space program to the twilight of “the American Century,” Moonglow collapses an era into a single life and a lifetime into a single week. A lie that tells the truth, a work of fictional non-fiction, an autobiography wrapped in a novel disguised as a memoir, Moonglow is Chabon at his most daring, his most moving, his most Chabonesque.
Michael Chabon is an author I can ALWAYS count on! His writing is so beautiful. Moonglow is scheduled to be released on November 22, 2016, and I can't wait!

What books are you waiting on this Wednesday??


Comments

  1. That's a new to me one! Doesn't sound like my kind of read but I hope you enjoy it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book around, but I haven't read this author before -- should I start with this one, or another of his titles? Here's mine; http://editingeverything.com/blog/2016/10/05/waiting-wednesday-dead-water/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is Wonder Boys, then The Mysteries of Pittsburgh but a lot of people love The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay the most! ♥

      Delete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to this one and I hope you end up loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really amazing, but was not on my radar!! Hope it turns out to be well worth the wait.
    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one so thanks for sharing. I hope you love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard about this before! I really like the cover :)

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this one. I also really need to read something by this author. I hope this is a winner for you!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I've heard of Moonglow! But I'd not seen this one before. I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

    Have a wonderful week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read anything from this author before. I hope you enjoy this when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never read anything by Chabon and I'm not sure if this a a book I'd enjoy, but it does sound interesting. Hope you love it, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read anything by this author, but wow this one sounds great. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?