Skip to main content

Review: IQ by Joe Ide



Blurb from Goodreads:
A resident of one of LA's toughest neighborhoods uses his blistering intellect to solve the crimes the LAPD ignores.  
East Long Beach. The LAPD is barely keeping up with the neighborhood's high crime rate. Murders go unsolved, lost children unrecovered. But someone from the neighborhood has taken it upon himself to help solve the cases the police can't or won't touch. 
They call him IQ. He's a loner and a high school dropout, his unassuming nature disguising a relentless determination and a fierce intelligence. He charges his clients whatever they can afford, which might be a set of tires or a homemade casserole. To get by, he's forced to take on clients that can pay. 
This time, it's a rap mogul whose life is in danger. As Isaiah investigates, he encounters a vengeful ex-wife, a crew of notorious cutthroats, a monstrous attack dog, and a hit man who even other hit men say is a lunatic. The deeper Isaiah digs, the more far reaching and dangerous the case becomes. 
My Review:
 
Oh IQ! He is my new favorite tragic hero. Seriously. This was such a fun book to read -- I laughed out loud several times and was also continually intrigued. When I finished this book, I was honestly sad it was over and I haven't felt that way in a LONG time.  This is another mystery told intercalary but you know what I loved most about this?  We find out so much about IQ by learning about his past and what makes him tick and yet, I still want to know more.  Because of this, I really hope this is the start of a series.  I, for one, can't wait to read about the next mystery IQ will solve and also to find out more about him. This was funny, well thought out and written in such a way that it was so easy and a joy to read. 

I think (HOPE) that this is going to be a series -- I am definitely ready for more IQ! Definitely recommend this one to fans of Elmore Leonard or fans of witty mystery-- this had a bit of Psych feel as well! IQ comes out today on October 18, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
"I'm an up-and-comer, you know what I'm sayin'? I was born to be a celebrity. I should have the spotlight all over me." 
"Spotlight all over you -- for what?" Isaiah said.   
"What do you mean for what?  That Kardashian girl's booty could fit inside my booty and you talking about for what. You know she made thirty million last year?" 
Isaiah knew other girls who felt that way. Somehow believing a big booty was like owning real estate or having a college degree, something you could put on a job application.  

Comments

  1. AHHHH!!! YES! This has been on my TBR for ages now and I am so THRILLED it's sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added to my TBR! I love that it made you laugh and kept you intrigued. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love when you (finally) get that fantastic read you've been hoping for. Really hope this will become a series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great start to a series! It kind of reminds me of a series by Jonathan Kellerman that I used to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like a fun premise. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you one and all! It's my first book and it's heartening to hear from real readers who have no other agenda than to enjoy the experience. I'm working on Book 2 so if you have any suggestions, complaints, comments, negative or otherwise do send them along. joeidebooks@yahoo.com. Again, many thanks

    Joe Ide

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?