Skip to main content

Review: The Guineveres by Sarah Domet



Blurb from Goodreads:
In the vein of The Virgin Suicides, a dazzling debut novel about four girls inexplicably named Guinevere, all left by their parents to be raised by nuns, and the year in which their tightly knit Guinevere family implodes when four comatose soldiers arrive.

Vere, Gwen, Ginny, and Win come to The Sisters of the Supreme Adoration by different paths, delivered into the rigorous and austere care of Sister Fran. Each has their own complicated, heartbreaking story that they safeguard. But together they are the all powerful and confident The Guineveres, bound by the extraordinary coincidence of their names and girded against the indignities of their plain, sequestered lives. Together, they learn about God, history, and, despite the nuns' protestations, sex. They learn about the saints whose revival stories of faith and pain are threaded through their own. But above all, they plot their futures, when they can leave the convent and finally find a true home. But when four comatose soldiers, casualties of the War looming outside, arrive at the convent, The Guineveres’ friendship is tested in ways they never could have foreseen. 

In The Guineveres, Sarah Domet navigates the wonder and tumult of girlhood, the families we yearn for and create. In prose shot through with beauty, Domet intertwines the ordinary and the miraculous, as The Guineveres discover what home really means.
My Review:
 
I wanted to read this because of its comparison to The Virgin Suicides and its references to Saints.  And while there are definite similarities to The Virgin Suicides, and there are whole chapters devoted to Saints, something was missing from this one. The book is ostensibly about the Guineveres -- four teenagers named Guinevere (who go by Gwen, Win, Ginny and Vere, who is the narrator) growing up in a convent that is also an orphanage for girls during World War II. The book is told in Chapters: some of which are wholly devoted to an individual Saint, some of which are devoted to each of the Guineveres' revival (the word used to described the story behind each girl coming to the convent) and the majority of which describe the daily life of the Guineveres in the convent.  One of my issues with this book was that, although the chapters devoted to daily life in the convent are told in a present sense, there would be whole paragraphs and pages devoted to looking back at the incident.  There didn't seem to be rhyme or reason to telling the story in a present tense but then also dropping in future details as if looking back.  The tense changes jarred me.  Overall, this was well written but definitely had an overwhelming air of despair and melancholy.  Such hard lives for the Guineveres!  Also, it took me a long time to get into this one -- I kept putting it down and really struggled through the first quarter.  It did get better, though, but the ending was pretty odd.

The Guineveres came out last week on October 4, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
I was the first Guinevere to arrive at the convent, the only Guinevere that summer when my mother left me there. Almost thirteen then, I shared my name with Saint Guinevere, who, at my very age, was martyred for her faith. Beheaded by a vengeful suitor after resisting his advances, she miraculously rose from the dead.  She lived on as a nun for many years after, her head apparently functioning just fine. I could understand how she must have suffered--to have her head severed from her body, but then be forced to go on living.  That's how I felt when my mother left me.   

Comments

  1. I recently read this one, too. I agree about the ending - it was not what I was expecting. I enjoyed the book overall, though, and I appreciated how the author created 4 distinct characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one definitely sounds interesting but I feel like the unconventional narrative would drive me crazy. The constant changes in tense would be so jarring and I feel like it would constantly interrupt the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seriously need a five star read soon! :P So sorry this was missing something. I almost picked this up because of the comparisons too, kind of glad I didn't now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it sounds super interesting but the tense change I think would throw me too. I am intrigued about the ending now! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm, this looked interesting. But I prob would have been upset about the changing tenses to!!
    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be so confused by the tense changes! But I admit this sounds so interesting!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I actually just came across this one last week and was reading other reviews on it though I hadn't read anything about changing tenses. That would throw me too. Still, I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across this book some time back (probably in your WoW post, but I'm not too sure) and thought it looked really intriguing, and I stick by that even now. It sure sounds interesting, but I'm quite bummed that it didn't work out that well for you! The tense changes and the overall atmosphere do sound off-putting. Great review, Eva- thanks for sharing :))

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw man, I am not sure what to make of this one. I mean, I was apathetic about it, then I was excited about it, and now... back to apathy, I think. Also, the cover change threw me, because that is QUITE a big change. I didn't sign off on that! Also, from a quick Goodreads check, seems like a lot of people are in agreement with you, so this makes me sad. Maybe someday I will read it? But thanks for the fabulous review, now I know to keep my expectations lowered ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?