Skip to main content

Review: The Signal Flame by Andrew Krivak



Blurb from Goodreads:
In a small town in Pennsylvania’s Endless Mountains Hannah and her son Bo mourn the loss of the family patriarch, Jozef Vinich. They were three generations under one roof. Three generations, but only one branch of a scraggy tree; they are a war-haunted family in a war-torn century. Having survived the trenches of World War I as an Austro-Hungarian conscript, Vinich journeyed to America and built a life for his family. His daughter married the Hungarian-born Bexhet Konar, who enlisted to fight with the Americans in the Second World War but brought disgrace on the family when he was imprisoned for desertion. He returned home to Pennsylvania a hollow man, only to be killed in a hunting accident on the family’s land. Finally, in 1971, Hannah’s prodigal younger son, Sam, was reported MIA in Vietnam.

And so there is only Bo, a quiet man full of conviction, a proud work ethic, and a firstborn’s sense of duty. He is left to grieve but also to hope for reunion, to create a new life, to embrace the land and work its soil through the seasons. The Signal Flame is a stirring novel about generations of men and women and the events that define them, brothers who take different paths, the old European values yielding to new world ways, and the convalescence of memory and war.

Beginning shortly after Easter in 1972 and ending on Christmas Eve this ambitious novel beautifully evokes ordinary time, a period of living and working while waiting and watching and expecting. The Signal Flame is gorgeously written, honoring the cycles of earth and body, humming with blood and passion, and it confirms Andrew Krivak as a writer of extraordinary vision and power. 
My Review:
 
The entire time I was reading this, up to and including the last page, I  was waiting for something to happen.  I could half say I was bored but I was also just anticipating that there would be some message or some action or something that would turn this book around for me.  I liked the writing but the story was . . . a bit lacking. This really revolved around this place Dardan, Pennsylvania, which didn't totally fascinate me. It follows the Vinich family from the original purchase of the land through every single possible tragedy you can imagine.  So, I guess I could describe this book to you as the one where nothing happens but everyone dies. You may like this if you like incredibly slow stories with epic family minutiae.
The Signal Flame comes out today on January 24, 2017, and you can purchase HERE.
Dardan, Pennsylvania sits in the yawning cut of three mountains that long ago pushed away rather than collide as they rose, so that they came to resemble, in the topographic lines drawn later by the mapmakers, an unattached letter K.

Comments

  1. Sorry this never did quite amount to much of a story for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this doesn't sound like it id for me. I hate when I am waiting for something - anything to happen. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO, NO, NO. I can't wait for a large portion of the book for something to happen. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe sorry this one wasn't great for you. I hate when that happens. Hopefully your next read will be mind blowing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely going to pass on this one- but the cover looks neat. Thanks for the honest review/ warning : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah I don't know how I would feel about this book, I'm not the most patient reader and so would probably end up putting this to one side after the lack of plot development. But well done you for sticking this one out! I am curious about every character dying though, would I have to wait right until the end for that to happen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy character-based stories. And I enjoy family dramas. But I have to say, even reading the synopsis of this with one just did nothing for me. Nothing grabbed me and made me want to read it. Your summation of "nothing happen and everyone dies" made me laugh but also convinced me that this is *not* one for me. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?