Skip to main content

Review: Everything You Want Me to Be by Mindy Mejia



Blurb from Goodreads:
Full of twists and turns, Everything You Want Me to Be reconstructs a year in the life of a dangerously mesmerizing young woman, during which a small town’s darkest secrets come to the forefront...and she inches closer and closer to her death.

High school senior Hattie Hoffman has spent her whole life playing many parts: the good student, the good daughter, the good citizen. When she’s found brutally stabbed to death on the opening night of her high school play, the tragedy rips through the fabric of her small town community. Local sheriff Del Goodman, a family friend of the Hoffmans, vows to find her killer, but trying to solve her murder yields more questions than answers. It seems that Hattie’s acting talents ran far beyond the stage. Told from three points of view—Del, Hattie, and the new English teacher whose marriage is crumbling—Everything You Want Me to Be weaves the story of Hattie’s last school year and the events that drew her ever closer to her death.

Evocative and razor-sharp, Everything You Want Me to Be challenges you to test the lines between innocence and culpability, identity and deception. Does love lead to self-discovery—or destruction? 
My Review:
 
I don't know what I expected this book to be, exactly, but it was one of those books that grabs from its first sentence to its last.  There is some meandering between timelines and it's told in three POV but it all just worked. I read this one so fast because I was so intrigued and I did not see the ending coming.  I thought I had it figured it out but that was turned on its head at the very end and I loved that! This was my second 2017 release and both it and History of Wolves are set in Minnesota.  Totally unplanned but it was very interesting to think about both book in that context - one in the north of the state and this one in the south. They were both stoic and stark in their own ways. I would also be remiss if I didn't tell you that this author created one of the best formed, articulated and complex characters I've ever read in Hattie Hoffman - such an effortless read but I am sure that writing it took everything.

Everything You Want Me To Be came out earlier this week on January 3, 2017, and you can purchase HERE.  I definitely recommend this one if you like a good mystery!
Out of nowhere I remembered my grandpa's silent, tear-streaked face in that depressing nursing home room. It was probably the last time anyone should be thinking about their dead grandfather, like some final proof of how unnatural I was, but in that moment I understood, finally, how love could be too much for our bodies to hold.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this too and it totally had me guessing the whole time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome. I love books that can grab me from the start and force me to finish ASAP because I can't stop reading. I'll look for this one at the library! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I enjoy a great mystery and this one sounds like a cut above. I'll have to pick it up. Great review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love discovering books which completely take you by surprise, especially ones that have you hooked from the very beginning, but also keep you guessing until the very end. I haven't read a single 2017 release yet, but will definitely be adding this to my to read pile! I hope your good run with 2017 releases continues Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way! Every time I thought I had it figured out, I was wrong! I also thought Hattie was super complex and compelling! This one was so thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like I really need to read this one soon. I love when a book surprises me! Great review - so glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never heard of this book before so thanks for the review. You do a great job of opening my eyes to books outside of my comfort genres. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love books that can grab your attention and hold it. Love that this was fun of surprises too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad this came out so great!! I definitely have been wanting to read this since I've heard of it. Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am seeing such awesome reviews of this one! And I love a book that can grab you from the very beginning. So glad this was a great read for you, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds SO good!! I've never heard of it before, but I love multi-POV books-- especially when it's a murder-mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book is on my wish-read,so excited! :)
    Glad you liked this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you liked this one better than I did! I thought it was okay, but predictable. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was already on my to-read list, so I'm glad to hear it's good. It sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one sounds so good! I love when a book keeps me guessing. I need to add this to my TBR! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?