Skip to main content

Review: Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson



Blurb from Goodreads:
Growing up, Kate Priddy was always a bit neurotic, experiencing momentary bouts of anxiety that exploded into full-blown panic attacks after an ex-boyfriend kidnapped her and nearly ended her life. When Corbin Dell, a distant cousin in Boston, suggests the two temporarily swap apartments, Kate, an art student in London, agrees, hoping that time away in a new place will help her overcome the recent wreckage of her life.

Soon after her arrival at Corbin’s grand apartment on Beacon Hill, Kate makes a shocking discovery: his next-door neighbor, a young woman named Audrey Marshall, has been murdered. When the police question her about Corbin, a shaken Kate has few answers, and many questions of her own—curiosity that intensifies when she meets Alan Cherney, a handsome, quiet tenant who lives across the courtyard, in the apartment facing Audrey’s. Alan saw Corbin surreptitiously come and go from Audrey’s place, yet he’s denied knowing her. Then, Kate runs into a tearful man claiming to be the dead woman’s old boyfriend, who insists Corbin did the deed the night that he left for London.

When she reaches out to her cousin, he proclaims his innocence and calms her nerves--until she comes across disturbing objects hidden in the apartment and accidentally learns that Corbin is not where he says he is. Could Corbin be a killer? What about Alan? Kate finds herself drawn to this appealing man who seems so sincere, yet she isn’t sure. Jet-lagged and emotionally unstable, her imagination full of dark images caused by the terror of her past, Kate can barely trust herself, so how could she take the chance on a stranger she’s just met? 
My Review:
 
This was a pretty good mystery and thriller - I was reminded a bit of both Rear Window (the constant watching) and one of my favorite books in this genre, Into the Darkest Corner, while reading this book. That being said, there was a lot to like about this book in the setting and the pace. It was easy and fast to read and almost all of it was interesting.  It was a bit predictable, which is my usual criticism of books in this genre, but it wasn't boring. I think the characters could have been flushed out a bit better to understand their motivations because there was something seriously off in each of them. I felt a real lack of basic understanding with all of the characters except Kate, which is hard when there are multiple POV and you're not connecting with the character.  Still, I enjoyed this one and will look from more from this author.

Her Every Fear came out earlier this week on January 10, 2017, and you can purchase HERE.
They'd met three times and she felt as though she'd known him her entire life. Self-conscious suddenly, she stopped looking at him and picked up her martini again from the table to take another sip. She was drunk, she realized, her fingertips numb against the still-cold glass. She scooped a number of cashews form the small dish on the table and began to eat them, one by one.

Comments

  1. I agree this genre is hard because often it is predictable. But not being boring is a big thing so sounds like a solid read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books being predictable in this genre is the worst! This is why YA mystery books rarely ever work for me. They are so predictable and I can figure out who did it pretty much the minute we meet them. I'm glad the story wasn't boring, however!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love this genre although more often than not, it really can let you down. Glad this wasn't too bad of a read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of this but the fact that you had issues connecting with the characters gives me pause. Although, with a thriller sometimes if the plot is really good it doesn't matter so much. Great review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when books are predictable! This is the first that I've heard of this one so I may steer clear of it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this one, though! I know Abby from Crime By The Book really liked this novel and her recs are always a hit for me. It's kinda sad that it's predictable, but I might still give this one a chance :) Lovely review!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the sound of this one. I like the aspect of being out of your element, away from home, surrounded by strangers, when all this is happening. It definitely adds an element of stress and instability to whole the situation.
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?