Skip to main content

Review: The Dry by Jane Harper



Blurb from Goodreads:
Luke Hadler turns a gun on his wife and child, then himself. The farming community of Kiewarra is facing life and death choices daily. If one of their own broke under the strain, well...

When Federal Police investigator Aaron Falk returns to Kiewarra for the funerals, he is loath to confront the people who rejected him twenty years earlier. But when his investigative skills are called on, the facts of the Hadler case start to make him doubt this murder-suicide charge.

And as Falk probes deeper into the killings, old wounds start bleeding into fresh ones. For Falk and his childhood friend Luke shared a secret... A secret Falk thought long-buried... A secret which Luke's death starts to bring to the surface...
My Review:
 
I read this during an epic rain storm and subsequent flood and even with this interesting dichotomy, I could feel the heat and drought radiating off the pages of this book. Falk was infinitely likable from the beginning and I felt rather bad for him from the start.  He's a closed off individual but I didn't have a hard time connecting with him. This isn't nearly as gruesome as I thought it would be or which even the first few pages suggest - it's a bit rambling and bumbling but interesting. I figured out one of the mysteries pretty quickly but it didn't stop me from being invested. I hope this author writes more set in Australia because that made me the most curious.

The Dry came out earlier this month on January 10, 2017 and you can purchase HERE. I definitely recommend this one if you like an atmospheric mystery -- this seems like a common formula these days.  MC leaves childhood home after something devastating and returns decades later as a cop to solve the first mystery and a new one: sometimes they're intertwined.  Bust still, this worked and I liked the setting a lot.
Pale from birth with close-cropped white-blond hair and invisible eyelashes, he'd often felt during his thirty-six years that the Australian sun was trying to tell him something.

Comments

  1. I definitely want to read this one soon. Glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book reminds me of a book which I read a few years back by Kate Atkinson, I surprisingly really ended up enjoying it! So thank you for putting this on my radar Eva, I shall definitely give it a go when I'm in the mood for it, it sort of gives off a unsettling sort of vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo, this is the main reason I LOVE rainstorms (As long as it stays safe) I'm glad you were able to enjoy the rain, stay warm and dry and read! The best situation EVA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give me a rainy day and a good book and I'm a happy girl. :) I love a character that I can get behind from the very start. And it sounds like the setting truly added a lot to the story. Glad you enjoyed this one, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I really love about your blog is that I can come here and know I'm going to see a book I never heard of. I love it. I mean the book itself sounds pretty okay, but I never would have known it, if I didn't come here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This actually sounds really good! I'm going to look for an audio copy.

    I think we got the rain down here in Southern California after you. We've had a series of pretty heft storms, which we really needed, but wow! It's finally sunny again for a little while at least. Don't mind the rain, though, since we don't get much of it usually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved this book! This book is the type of crime mystery that I will always enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?