Skip to main content

Review: Wrong Brother, Right Match (Anyone But You #3) by Jennifer Shirk



Blurb from Goodreads:
Matchmaking guru Kennedy Pepperdine’s life is perfect. Perfect job. Perfect friends. Perfect boyfriend. Except...when she gets trapped in an elevator with a handsome stranger, she accidentally confesses a secret: maybe her perfect boyfriend, Justin, isn’t so perfect for her after all. But a matchmaker should be able to successfully match herself, right? Thankfully, she’ll never see the handsome stranger again. Until she heads home with Justin for the holidays and learns that the sexy stranger is none other than Justin’s older brother, Matt.

Matt Ellis is trying to be on his best behavior for his mother—it is Christmas, after all. But when he recognizes the beautiful woman from the elevator—the one he hasn’t been able to stop thinking about for months—his best behavior is being held by a thread. Matt’s always sacrificed for his family, and nothing is more important than their happiness, but the more time he spends around Kennedy, the more he wonders if her supposed "right match" might just be the wrong brother.
My Review:
 
This was fine - nothing special but nothing too offensive.  Not very memorable, either.  The premise is cute and the book definitely follow the premise but it was missing that spark, that something special that turns an ordinary contemporary romance into something you love.   I don't think Kennedy was particularly well developed as a character; everything was incredibly superficial in this book from the characters to the romance.  Even by the end, it just seemed to be scratching the surface.  This one actually might translate better to a Hallmark or Lifetime movie but as a read, it left a bit to be desired. This is also novella length, which I feel made everything seem a bit rushed in the book. Still, if you want a short holiday romance that is light on the drama (especially considering the premise) but is cute, this may work a lot better for you.
Wrong Brother, Right Match comes out soon on December 5, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.

Comments

  1. What a cute cover! But a shame that it's not well-developed. I need my characters to be more fleshed out than they are here, especially in a contemporary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when a book is just ok and missing that spark to make it really good. Sorry it wasn't better. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eehhhh, sounds like a forgettable read. So it's supposed to be a full-length book, but it's as short as a novella? Readers need more! D:

    Great review, Eva! =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh, some stories are definitely better left to a different medium. Hope your next read is much better! Great Review!!
    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe :( well I'm sorry this book wasn't what you wanted or expected. :( I hope your next one is better, love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I am really picky about novella's, because the story always seems so rushed and hardly any depth to them. Sorry about this one, sounds like you were pretty excited about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?