Skip to main content

Review: Her Nightly Embrace (Ravi PI #1) by Adi Tantimedh



Blurb from Goodreads:
The first in a trilogy of whip-smart novels—currently in development as a TV series set to star Sendhil Ramamurthy (NBC’s Heroes and Heroes Reborn)—about a destructive private investigator and his eccentric coworkers, who handle cases so high-profile that they never make the headlines.

Ravi Chandra Singh is the last guy you’d expect to become a private detective. A failed religious scholar, he now works for Golden Sentinels, an upmarket London private investigations agency. His colleagues are a band of gleefully amoral and brilliant screw-ups: Ken and Clive, a pair of brutal ex-cops who are also a gay couple; Mark Chapman, a burned-out stoner hiding a great mind; Marcie Holder, a cheerful former publicist; Benjamin Lee, a techie prankster from South London; David Okri, an ambitious lawyer from a well-connected Nigerian immigrant family; and Olivia Wong, an upper-class Hong Kong financial analyst hiding her true skills as one of the most dangerous hackers in the world—all under the watchful eye of Roger Golden, wheeler-dealer extraordinaire, and his mysterious office manager, Cheryl Hughes.

Thrust into a world where the rich, famous, and powerful hire him to solve their problems and wash their dirty laundry, Ravi finds himself in over his head with increasingly gonzo and complex cases – and the recent visions that he’s been having of Hindu gods aren’t helping. As Ravi struggles to stay ahead of danger, he wonders if the things he’s seeing are a delusion – or if he might, in fact, be an unrecognized shaman of the modern world... 
My Review:
 
So I'm not sure why these little stories were even made into a book.  When I requested this, I assumed it was a novel and the start of a series. Instead, we get four mini stories that really read better as episodes of the TV show that has been developed based on these characters.  I also hesitate to call these character PIs - they reminded me much more of the Olivia Pope team from Scandal -- they are, essentially, cleaners.  While I did like the diversity of these stories and could see myself liking this show because Ravi is a compelling character, the writing of these actual mini stories was elementary and pedantic -- better served as an idea for the screenplay than enjoyable reading.  I do look forward to the show but I would skip the book in its favor.
Her Nightly Embrace came out last week on November 1, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
Roger didn't hire cream puffs. If there was one thing that I had learned about my coworkers, it was that everyone here was a brilliant fuckup with nowhere else to go. And fuckups are dark, dark people. We're all good at smiling, wearing a smart suit we got from our clothing allowance and presenting a cool front, but the clients should never see how ewe got our results, or how we behave off-hours.

Comments

  1. ... oh man, I just recced this today on my blog because it looked so good! I scrolled right past your review when i saw how many stars you gave it, so I think I might save another response for this for later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo for the mediocre writing. Hopefully if you were to watch the show it would be far better. For some reason, I've never even heard of it but now I'm kind of curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blah. Sorry this one was such a letdown. The writing style would have annoyed me and it seems like this would have been better left for the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, mediocre writing can be so disappointing! I hope the Tv series turns out much better!! Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a shallow type read, one that you could pull off on TV, as you said, but not so much in a book. Hopefully the TV show is better. Great review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?