Skip to main content

Review: Ever After (Nantucket Brides #3) by Jude Deveraux



Blurb from Goodreads:
Jude Deveraux’s eagerly awaited third novel in her blockbuster Nantucket Brides trilogy continues the spellbinding saga of the Montgomery-Taggerts, set on an island steeped in beauty and unforgettable romance.

Life is anything but perfect for Hallie Hartley, a young physical therapist who has given up nearly everything—even her love life—for her beautiful blonde stepsister, Shelly. Though Shelly’s acting career has never taken off, she has certainly perfected the crocodile tears to get what she wants—which all too often means Hallie’s boyfriends. When Hallie arrives home early from work one fateful day, she makes two startling discoveries that will turn her life upside down: Not only has a mysterious relative left Hallie a house on Nantucket, but Shelly has been trying to steal it. Desperate to put her troubles behind her, Hallie impulsively flies to Nantucket.

New trouble, however, has already settled into Hallie’s guest room in the form of her newest client. Hallie is told that wealthy, young James Taggert has injured his leg in a skiing accident. Assuming that the devastatingly handsome man has led a charmed life, Hallie is surprised by Jamie at every turn throughout his recovery. His attentions draw her out of her shell—but he has a dark secret, and is tormented by nightmares that only her presence can keep at bay. She suspects there’s more to his injury than he’s letting on.

On this gorgeous island rich in history, magic is everywhere, even in Hallie’s own backyard. As Jamie’s relatives arrive for a wedding gala, something wonderfully unusual is in the air. There’s an aura of romance—enhanced by a pair of matchmaking ghosts and a colorful island legend. In their own little corner of the world, Jamie and Hallie unravel the timeless secrets of their own hearts, and a very special story of True Love destined to last forever after.
My Review:
 
I love love love books set on Nantucket, especially Elin Hilderbrand's and Nancy Thayer's books.  That is initially why I wanted to read this one.  I liked Hallie (the MC) a lot but this book (and maybe the series or the author?) seemed super antiquated -- this easily could have been set in the 1970s or 1980s based upon the plot/language, etc. Hallie and Jamie were sweet together but I was definitely not expecting the touch of paranormal (ghosts/haunting) at all -- it wasn't done in a scary way but it was a bit weird.  Overall, however, the setting and the unique details of the book made this a fun read.

I would recommend this to fans of contemporary romance.  It was a light read and I always love the setting of Nantucket.  I also hadn't read the first two books in this series prior to this one so it definitely could be read as a stand-alone.  

Comments

  1. I love when a setting is done well. I have read a couple set in Nantucket and enjoyed them. The paranormal seems like it might be a little out of place? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, from the sound of this book, the paranormal seems out of place in it.


    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. The setting sounds lovely but the antiquated writing doesn't really appeal to me in a contemporary novel sadly.
    Great review, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read a couple by Jude Deveraux (and it's been years) but I do remember they were very hit or miss fo rme. One or two I really loved but the other couple not so much. The plots kind of strained believability - and coincidentally it was a kind of magical realism/paranormal thing that seemed so poorly explained. It was weird. I know Deveraux has been around since the 80's so maybe her writing really is stuck in the past.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?