Skip to main content

Review: Call Me, Maybe by Ellie Cahill



Blurb from Goodreads:
Clementine Daly knows she’s the black sheep. Her wealthy, powerful family has watched her very closely since she almost got caught in an embarrassing scandal a few years ago. So when Clementine’s sent on a mission to live up to the Daly name, politely declining isn’t even an option. Of course, the last thing Clementine does before departure is grab a stranger’s phone by mistake—leaving the hunky journalist with her phone. Soon his sexy voice is on the line, but he doesn’t know her real name, or her famous pedigree—which is just the way Clementine likes it.

Despite all the hassles, Justin Mueller is intrigued to realize that the beautiful brown-eyed girl he met at the airport is suddenly at his fingertips. They agree to exchange phones when they’re both back in town, but after a week of flirty texts and wonderfully intimate conversations, Justin doesn’t want to let her go that easy. The only problem? It turns out that Clemetine has been lying to him about, well, everything. Except for the one thing two people can’t fake, the only thing that matters: The heat between them is for real. 
My Review:
 
Call Me, Maybe almost felt like it was written to try and appeal to book bloggers since the MC is a book blogger herself.  The premise of this book is cute -- the entire thing is almost itself a meet-cute -- Clementine leaves her phone at the airport and instead grabs the cute stranger's phone.  The problem arose when there was literally nothing else about Clementine that was relatable.  First of all, she is more wealthy than you can imagine -- she even refers to herself as American royalty.  In fact, she readily admits she could just buy Justin a new phone but doesn't want him to know who she really is and how wealthy she is -- you can imagine how well this works out when Justin finds out the truth.  Maybe it's just me but the whole woe is me because I don't have to work and can't figure out what I want to do and my family bought me an entire building to live in didn't really lend itself to liking Clementine.  The romance was fast and there was a bit of insta-love, the combination of which made me not root for this story, at all.

I can't say that I would recommend this to anyone but others may like it.  Books such as On An Edge of Glass, Breathe, Annie, Breathe or the books in this post are, for me, better NA that feels a bit more realistic.  I also really liked Ellie Cahill's NA release last year, When Joss Met Matt.  Call Me, Maybe is scheduled to be released on February 9, 2016.
Some people stress eat.  I stress read.

Comments

  1. American royalty?? Yeah I am not sure I would connect with her. The premise does sounds cute though. Sorry this wasn't better for you. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book blogger part sounds interesting, but the rest of it doesn't. Meh.

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww boo! :( I really like her books so I'm looking forward to this one, but I'll be sure to lower my expectations, Eva. I can definitely see why you were unable to connect with her character. I would probably have that issue too if she's so filthy rich. And insta-love. *sigh*
    Let's see what I think of this!
    Lovely review, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Clementine doesn't come across as a particularly relatable (or even likable) MC. Sorry that this one was a letdown. Btw, I really loved Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ay, I have to admit that I am annoyed by the book blogger MC. It was cute the first time but got annoying after that. I liked the first book too, sucks this one wasn't as good Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shucks, doesn't sound like a good read at all. Too bad! I really want to read Breathe, Annie, Breathe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so with you on this book! Plus I totally agree When Joss Met Matt was really good, I guess that's why I had high hopes for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, so sorry you weren't a fan of this one. I really enjoyed it, even though it was really fluffy. For some reason Cahill's books just make me smile and put me in a good mood - this one filled that role perfectly for me. Of course, those different opinions are what keep us on our toes, right? :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?