Skip to main content

Review: Coming Up for Air (Hundred Oaks) by Miranda Kenneally



Blurb from Goodreads:
Swim. Eat. Shower. School. Snack. Swim. Swim. Swim. Dinner. Homework. Bed. Repeat.

All of Maggie’s focus and free time is spent swimming. She’s not only striving to earn scholarships—she’s training to qualify for the Olympics. It helps that her best friend, Levi, is also on the team and cheers her on. But Levi’s already earned an Olympic try out, so she feels even more pressure to succeed. And it’s not until Maggie’s away on a college visit that she realizes how much of the “typical” high school experience she’s missed by being in the pool.

Not one to shy away from a challenge, Maggie decides to squeeze the most out of her senior year. First up? Making out with a guy. And Levi could be the perfect candidate. After all, they already spend a lot of time together. But as Maggie slowly starts to uncover new feelings for Levi, how much is she willing to lose to win?
My Review:
No one writes more realistic, sex positive contemporary YA than Miranda Kenneally.  And her abilities in this area are a huge reason why I not only love her Hundred Oaks series but why I think this series is a must read, especially for teenage and adult women.  She always manages to capture what it was like to be in high school, at least what I felt like in high school, and her latest book, Coming Up for Air, is no exception.  I immediately connected with Maggie - she's driven and dedicated to swimming but she also has normal feelings and curiosities like every teenager.  The friendships she had were such a highlight in this book, both with Levi but also with her core group who meets every Friday.  I found these weekly meetings so endearing and reminiscent of being in high school. I also loved the descriptions of swimming -- the practices, the competitions, the traveling. This book was just so well developed in its plot and characters that I couldn't put it down.  I am sad to see this series end (this is the last book) but this book contains an amazing epilogue and I can't wait to see what Miranda writes next!  I can't recommend this series enough and I know I will re-read all of these books often.

Coming Up For Air comes out tomorrow on July 4, 2017, you can purchase HERE.  I cannot stress enough how amazing and important this series is - it is a must read for teens and adults alike.
What if fooling around with Levi is fueling stronger emotion that may or may not be real? Once it happened, feelings started blooming, as if I threw a bunch of seeds over my shoulder, and a month later, wildflowers were all over my yard. They are beautiful, but not what I had planned. Is that okay? Or will it all grow out of control and mess up our friendship?

Comments

  1. I didn't love this one as much as you did, but still thought it was a really good book and omg that epilogue was the best! I'm sad this is the last book. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYY I am so glad you loved this one too! I haven't read the rest of the series yet (weird, I know) but I LoVED this book so much! The swimming piece was SO well done, and I just adored the characters. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Miranda's work too Eva, so I'm glad that you ended up loving this last book too, it'll be sad to see these series go, as it definitely has fond memories for me too! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to see such a positive review for this one! I'm really looking forward to this. I've only read one other by Kenneally and have been meaning to read more from her ever since. Great review, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! I have this to get to and this review makes me want to bump it up now. I need to get to the others in the series too ( I've read one and own all the others!) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?