Skip to main content

Review: Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters #17) by Suzanne Brockmann



Blurb from Goodreads:
Navy men don’t come tougher than Lieutenant Peter Greene. Every day he whips hotshot SEAL wannabes into elite fighters. So why can’t he handle one fifteen-year-old girl? His ex’s death left him a single dad overnight, and very unprepared. Though he can’t relate to an angsty teen, he can at least keep Maddie safe—until the day she disappears. Though Pete’s lacking in fatherly intuition, his instinct for detecting danger is razor sharp. Maddie’s in trouble. Now he needs the Troubleshooters team at his back, along with an unconventional ally.

Romance writer Shayla Whitman never expected to be drawn into a real-world thriller—or to meet a hero who makes her pulse pound. Action on the page is one thing. Actually living it is another story. Shay’s not as bold as her heroines, but she’s a mother. She sees the panic in her new neighbor’s usually fearless blue eyes—and knows there’s no greater terror for a parent than having a child at risk. It’s an ordeal Shay won’t let Pete face alone. She’s no highly trained operative, but she’s smart, resourceful, and knows what makes teenagers tick.

Still, working alongside Pete has its own perils—like letting the heat between them rise out of control. Intimate emotions could mean dangerous, even deadly, consequences for their mission. No matter what, they must be on top of their game, and playing for keeps . . . or else Pete’s daughter may be gone for good. 
My Review:
 
This was one of my most highly anticipated reads for 2017 because I have been waiting YEARS for a new book in this series.  There was some talk that maybe it was over but I was so happy to be back with the Troubleshooters! No one rights better romantic suspense in the military vein than Suzanne Brockmann and I seriously loved the characters of Pete and Shay that she created in this book.  Shay is an author (romantic suspense, of course) and she was so awesome.  Everything about this was seamless.  I also think no one can write alternating/multiple POV better than SB - she is so good at creating unique voices that are still easy to read. Although I wasn't actually in love with the sub-story of Pete's daughter's romance (it felt a bit off), I was still all in for this one and devoured it in a day.  I really hope this means there might be even more books in this series coming?  Maybe?!

Some Kind of Hero comes out next week on July 11, 2017 and you can purchase HERE.  I love this series so much!
He just pulled back to look into her eyes again, and time seemed to slow and not-quite stop, but change and expand. He'd experienced something similar a few times, while out on ops with the teams. There was a name for it, that sense of being present and acutely, intensely aware: kairos. The word also meant opportunity, and he was not a fool, so he slowly leaned in and when, once more, she didn't pull away, he kissed her again. 

Comments

  1. I will come back to your review later, because I'm starting it this weekend. I hope it's good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cover of this one!

    I gave your blog a follow, and I would truly appreciate it if you could check out my book reviews blog located at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow as well! Looking forward to reading more of your reviews!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really disappointed with this novel. Shay's talking to "Harry" was annoying and the story and characters lacked depth. It's really hard to learn to love new characters when there are so few previous characters in the plotline. How realistic is it that Izzy would ask ask BUD/S trainees to help?
    We didn't even get to find out whether Lindsey had a boy or a girl.
    I was looking forward to lots of Izzy and Eden, and got almost no Eden and very little of Izzy; the Izzy we got had so little depth. Based on their relationship, it's really hard to believe Eden would have told Lindsay she was ready for a baby, before she told Izzy. Everytime we have had Izzy's POV, he always deals with issues head-on or we see his thinking about the issues through his irreverent filter - but all that was missing this time.
    The lack of continuity is also annoying. Lindsey's miscarriage was presented as having happened in the first trimester originally; but in this book it turned into a 'late-stage' loss?? And Eden was also described as incredibly beautiful, but now Lindsey is on a par with her?? It's frustrating when the author cannot keep her story lines consistent.
    This book felt like, the author felt she should get on and write another book in the series but really couldn't be bothered putting alot of effort in

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?