Skip to main content

Review: She's Not There by P.J. Parrish



Blurb from Goodreads:
They say it’s better to battle the devil you know. But what if you don’t recognize him before it’s too late?

She knows her name is Amelia, but after waking up in a hospital battered and bruised with just the clothes on her back, it’s all she knows. Unable to piece together her shattered memory, she’s haunted by a vision: menacing faces and voices implying her nightmare is far from over.

Relying only on her wits and her will to live, Amelia becomes a fugitive from a mysterious man, and a life she can’t even remember. But the past she’s fleeing has no intention of letting her go. 
My Review:
 
She's Not There was an intriguing mystery/crime thriller although the end of the book left me a bit disappointed.  The first half of the book was seriously good and I read it so fast but as the mystery was revealed, my interest waned.  I am finding this a lot lately with thrillers and I wonder if it's me or if there are just many books being released in this genre after the popularity of Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train that these books are being released without proper editing.  Just a theory I have but I wish the strength of the first half of this book had carried on!

I would recommend this to anyone that likes thriller mysteries along the lines of Gone Girl. I also got a serious Sleeping With The Enemy vibe!  She's Not There is scheduled to be released September 8, 2015, and you can purchase HERE!  
The smell was pungent-- mothballs, dust, dime-store perfume and a faint trace of body odor-- and it was so familiar that Amelia was certain she had surely been inside a thrift store before.  But she couldn't remember, and she was  woman who Chanel dresses, wasn't she?

Comments

  1. Ah I was tempted to get this one. I feel like these type of books are hard and if the reveal isn't done well or at the right time it can ruin it. Sorry it didn't end stronger!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?