Skip to main content

Review: The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows

The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows


Blurb from Goodreads:
Evoking the same small town charm with the same great eye for character, the co-author of Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society finds her own voice in this debut novel about a young debutante working for the Federal Writer's Project whose arrival in Macedonia, West Virginia changes the course of history for a prominent family who has been sitting on a secret for decades. The Romeyn family is a fixture in the town, their identity tied to its knotty history. Layla enters their lives and lights a match to the family veneer and a truth comes to light that will change each of their lives forever.
My Review:
After Station Eleven, this is my favorite book I've read this year.  Set in the summer of 1938, I could feel the oppressive heat and rebel sympathies oozing out of the pages that I couldn't stop turning.  Even though Macedonia, West Virginia is a fictional place, you couldn't put that past me.  That is, I felt I was there and it was the summer of 1938 as I was reading -- the descriptions were so vivid and so engaging.  Willa Romeyn is a soothsaying narrator -- the omniscience of a child, a sneak, of all of us and I couldn't love her more.  When she ached, I ached.  

I was continually reminded of both The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and To Kill a Mockingbird while reading this book.  It is that classic!  The combination of the child narrator (predominately) and the Southern Gothic themes just spoke to me.  This is the first book I've read by Annie Barrows and her first solo venture in adult novels -- I hope she continues to write many, many more.  I HIGHLY, highly recommend this book.  The Truth According to Us was just released last week, and you can purchase HERE!
"You're right, Jottie, but what good is it?  Rightness is nothing.  You can't live on it.  You might as well eat ashes."  I glanced at Father, his bloodshot eyes and the stain on his pants.  I loved him so.  Once more, I tried to explain.  "This is all we can do; it's all we're allowed.  We can't go back.  The only thing time leaves for us to decide" -- I picked up Father's hand and held it tight-- "is whether or not we're going to hate each other."

Comments

  1. You know I haven't heard of this one yet but you definitely sold me! Also I really liked Station Eleven too - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is so cute! I think I've heard of this book, but I actually never thought of wanting to read it. But now I sort want to! :) Your review is very convincing!! <3 Thanks so much for sharing, and awesome review!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this before but your review makes it sound so interesting! I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, so I might give this a try - I didn't realise she'd written anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely recommend it then! This is her first solo adult novel.

      Delete
  5. I also like this book and found it beautiful and heartbreaking. Such gorgeous prose.

    My review of the audiobook: http://fangswandsandfairydust.com/2015/06/truth.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?