Skip to main content

Review: Helpless by Jessica Knoll


Blurb from Goodreads:
It’s been twelve years since Faye Heron broke Henry Spalding’s heart. Henry was her college boyfriend, her first intense love, but Faye was in danger of being subsumed by him.

Now, Faye is one half of a power-producing duo with her Hollywood husband. Henry is a married father running the family business. Both of their lives have essentially gone to plan.

When a former and beloved college professor suddenly passes away, Faye and Henry find themselves back on campus for the funeral, circling something old and dangerous. Something, if Faye is honest with herself, she has been trying to duplicate for years. But Henry is one of a kind.

The kind who delivers a hypnotic apology for the way things ended.
The kind who suggests they go back to the hotel for a drink.
The kind who drugs and kidnaps her.

When Faye comes to Henry’s remote mountain cabin, she’s beside herself. Has Henry brought her here to punish her? She did, after all, write and star in a lauded episode of television based on their indelicate appetites and vicious breakup. As her week of captivity unfolds, Henry’s wanton demands intensify, and a sprawling, years-old mystery begins to take shape—one that will rewrite history as Faye remembers it and reveal an astounding, cataclysmic truth.
 
I was expecting so much from this because the blurb sounded great and I have long been a Jessica Knoll fan.  I've loved all of her other books and found her writing acerbic but honest in the best way.  This just felt like a manipulation and I didn't want it in the way it was done. Hope you have better luck!

Helpless comes out next week on July 7, 2026 and you can purchase HERE.  

I drive through campus with the air-conditioning blasting, trying to get my skin to stop buzzing. On the lawn of the last standing fraternity house, two shirtless guys toss a lacrosse ball back and forth, feet sliding around in battered brown leather flip-flops. I slow in front of the small yellow house where I lived my senior year with a group of girls who always felt more like colleagues than friends, then come to a complete stop when I see the front door open. One brunette, one blonde, their hair in matching high ponytails, come bounding down the stairs with tennis rackets strapped to their backs, laughing and bumping hips in a way that more or less foretells their future. They'll be roommates in a moldy prewar building in Back Bay, maids of honor three or four Septembers after, then, by the time I'm forty, they'll be gifting each other the most expensive item off their baby registry, the white oak crib or the NASCAR stroller, whatever the in-laws didn't snap up first. It's not longing with which I watch them. I would not be who I am now if I were able to trade affection so easily, and I happen to like who I am now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beach Reads In August Giveaway Hop

I am so excited to be participating another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite beach reads books (above and each image is linked to the  goodreads  description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Snowed In? So Read Giveaway Hop!!

I am so excited to be participating in another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite books (above and each image is linked to the goodreads description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): Should There Be ARCs?

First of all, thank you SO much for reading my very first "discussion" post .  The response was so amazing and I am so grateful to each and every one of you that took the time to read it.  I would like to preface my next discussion post in the same way -- nothing is new and I'm sure that this topic has been discussed by someone, somewhere but this is what is on my mind: SHOULD THERE BE ARCs? Truly, not everything I think about and write about is regarding Maggie Stiefvater's epic series, The Raven Cycle , but it just so happens that this discussion post will mention this series, too.   Those of us that are obsessed with this series (like me) know that there will not be any ARCs for the highly (HIGHLY) anticipated last book of this series, The Raven King . There will be no ARCs (advanced reader copies). Y'all are just going to have to trust me. https://t.co/xYDv0q1tXN — Maggie Stiefvater (@mstiefvater) December 5, 2015 Oddly, I think this ...