Skip to main content

Review: The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert



Blurb from Goodreads:
YOU'VE GOT MAIL meets HOW TO EAT A CUPCAKE in this delightful novel about a talented chef and the food critic who brings down her restaurant—whose chance meeting turns into a delectable romance of mistaken identities.


In downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Lou works tirelessly to build her beloved yet struggling French restaurant, Luella’s, into a success. She cheerfully balances her demanding business and even more demanding fiancé…until the morning she discovers him in the buff—with an intern.



Witty yet gruff British transplant Al is keeping himself employed and entertained by writing scathing reviews of local restaurants in the Milwaukee newspaper under a pseudonym. When an anonymous tip sends him to Luella’s, little does he know he’s arrived on the worst day of the chef’s life. The review practically writes itself: underdone fish, scorched sauce, distracted service—he unleashes his worst.



The day that Al’s mean-spirited review of Luella’s runs, the two cross paths in a pub: Lou drowning her sorrows, and Al celebrating his latest publication. As they chat, Al playfully challenges Lou to show him the best of Milwaukee and she’s game—but only if they never discuss work, which Al readily agrees to. As they explore the city’s local delicacies and their mutual attraction, Lou’s restaurant faces closure, while Al’s column gains popularity. It’s only a matter of time before the two fall in love…but when the truth comes out, can Lou overlook the past to chase her future?



Set in the lovely, quirky heart of Wisconsin, THE COINCIDENCE OF COCONUT CAKE is a charming love story of misunderstandings, mistaken identity, and the power of food to bring two people together.


My Review:
I think I love books set in a kitchen -- there is something so fascinating to me about the stress, pace and reward of working in that type of environment.  And I know I definitely love coconut cake: WARNING: do not read this book hungry!  But I didn't love this book with all of my heart.  Don't get me wrong: this is a good book, and a very quick read, but something about it left me desiring more.  I liked Lou but sometimes she was hard to like -- she was a bit too oblivious to the truths around her to be completely believable.  The other portions of this book that detracted from my whole hearted love were the constant depressing plot points that sometimes seemed a bit unnecessary -- without giving anything away, everything that could go wrong, goes wrong and then, of course, Lou's love interest doesn't tell her something major, thereby breaking everyone's heart when they all find out the truth.  I'm a bit tired of this cliche -- when was the last time you read a romance where this didn't happen?  That being said, however, there were many charming part of this story and I loved the kitchen/food scenes!  It's also a total love letter to Milwaukee so, if you're from there, you will probably love this book!


I would recommend this to fans of The Chocolate Thief by Laura Florand or any book by Sarah Jio -- something about the tone and voice of this book reminded me of both.  And, if you're looking for other books set in a kitchen and/or with a female chef -- The Blue Bistro  by Elin Hilderbrand and Lizzy & Jane by Katherine Reay are also great!  The Coincidence of Coconut Cake comes out tomorrow, July 21, 2015, and you can purchase HERE!

Thunder rumbled and a cool breeze rushed through the open back door of the restaurant.  A waterfall fell over the entrance, the gutters above long defunct.  Other than the rain and thunder, only the whir of Harley's mixer and the snick of knives on cutting boards disturbed the peaceful morning.  While Lou loved the raucous music, loud voices and chaotic movement of a dinner rush, the calm prep work soothed her soul and gave her time to think.  Some people did downward dog, some burned incense in front of a Buddha statue, some prayed the rosary; Lou chopped vegetables into tiny squares, filleted fish, and reduced veal stock.  Her meditation smelled better, and even if she didn't find a solution, at least she got to eat.

Comments

  1. Oh, I hadn't actually heard of this one before--but I'm SOLD. I mean, a) THAT TITLE (because who doesn't like coconut...and cake!?), and b) it sounds like there's heaps of kitchen scenes. And anyway, books about food are the best. ;) I'm pretty sure this book was made for me.

    Lovely review! :) Adding this to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one. I think it sounds cute but the whole hiding a truth then it's all bad when it comes out is WAY overused, Glad you at least enjoyed it and I will check out the others you recommended. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks so delicious, Eva! I think I want to read the book just to stare at that cover. :D
    I know what you mean about being hungry when reading books set in a kitchen! Especially if there's a cake involved. Yeah, I agree. I need a romance book without that cliche!
    I'm glad you liked this one overall though, Eva. :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book, even though the plot was pretty predictable. I think "almost" every romance these days follows a cookie cutter pattern, unfortunately, especially when it comes to the climax. There are still a few out there that break that mold. I'll check out the other books you listed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay this TOTALLY sounds like my kind of book! :D I love books about food, although I mostly read YA but pfft. I need coconut cake in my life.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like I've seen this book everywhere these last few weeks. Now I want cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been so curious about this one... mainly because of the title and cover. I totally love coconut cake. LOL Glad to see how much you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?