Skip to main content

Mini Reviews: Battle of the Opposites Attract Romances



Blurb from Goodreads:
Fairy tales aren't ever what they seem . . . 

Tuesday Knight's dream of Broadway stardom has flopped, leaving her unemployed and brokenhearted. Ready to quit kissing frogs and make her own happily-ever-after, she takes a job as a princess in Everland, Georgia's historical amusement park. 

Mayor Beau Marino lives an unenchanted existence-all work, no play-which is fine by him. After his marriage ended in disaster, the last thing he wants in his life is more drama. But Everland's new free spirit has a talent for getting under his starched collar. 

When the town's beloved but bankrupt park might be shut down, Tuesday and Beau face a choice. Can they join forces, save the day-and each other? Or will their fierce battle of wills destroy any chance of a fairy-tale ending? 
My Review:

I really tried with some one and ended up stopping around 51%.  Something about this felt super off-putting to me and I can't even put my finger on it. It is centered around an amusement park where Tuesday plays a princess.  So that was a bit weird but hen this business intrigue and espionage sort of revealed itself and I just didn't buy Beau and Tuesday being into each other.  I like opposites attract romances but this one just felt totally inauthentic.  Unfortunately this was my first book by this author and I've seen such good reviews of her other works.  Hopefully this one was just an anomaly and I will definitely try something else by her!
Tuesday had always vaguely assumed she'd have kids until two years ago, when a friend from high school had called to cry in desperation about her sleepless, sexless life. After that Tuesday had moved that particular life goal from her "Must do" list to "Maybe." Might be time to downgrade it to "Nope."




Blurb from Goodreads:
Everest. If they can make it there, they can make it anywhere. Maybe even New York, where Ruthie Knox takes her charming rom-com style to new heights.

Beneath her whole “classic English beauty” appearance is an indomitable spirit that has turned Rosemary Chamberlain into something of a celebrity mountain climber. But after an Everest excursion takes a deadly turn, Rosemary is rescued by her quick-thinking guide, New York native Kal Beckett. Rosemary’s brush with death brings out a primal need to celebrate life—and inspires a night of steamy sex with the rather gorgeous man who saved her.

The son of a famous female climber with a scandalous past, Kal Beckett is still trying to find himself. In the Zen state of mind where Kal spends most of his time, anything can happen—like making love to a fascinating stranger and setting off across the world with her the next morning. But as their lives collide in the whirlwind of passion that is New York City, the real adventure is clearly just beginning. . . . 
My Review:
  
This book was unique and wonderful! Rosemary and Kal couldn't be more opposite but somehow their coupling felt natural and organic. It starts off while they are both on Everest, Rosemary trying to summit and Kal as an ice doctor with mixed feelings about being back on Everest.  I won't tell you what happens next but it all felt very real.  My only complaint is that the conflict resolved a bit too easily for me and the ending came up quick.  I think a few other areas could have been shortened to develop the ending a bit better.  That being said, this was enjoyable and I highly recommend this entire trilogy.  You can read my review of book 2 in this trilogy HERE (note: they can definitely be read stand-alone!)
He would miss her face. He would miss seeing her when he woke up in the morning, spending time with her, hearing what she thought about things. Kal was no Buddhist, but he had enough of a basic grasp of chains of causation to understand that the fact that he'd invited Rosemary into his life, promised to help her with her book, and taken her home to meet his mom meant that for reasons he couldn't being to understand, this was what he wanted. Every action he'd taken since Everest had been leading him to this moment, the chain of causation a gigantic arrow pointing Kal toward the obvious reason why a man would upend his life for a woman, invite her into its messiest corners, want to tell her everything even when he couldn't quite bring himself to, want her to stick around, want her in his bed, want to buy her coffee. 
Well there was a definitely winner in this battle between opposites attract contemporary romances! The Corner of Forever and Always and Completely come out next week on September 26, 2017.

Comments

  1. The first one looked good, so sorry it didn't turn out well for you. Glad the second was better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?