Skip to main content

Swoon Thursday: On an Edge of Glass by Autumn Doughton


Swoon Thursday is a meme hosted by YABound.  

From the book you’re currently reading, or one you just finished, tell us what made you SWOON. What got your heart pounding, your skin tingling, and your stomach fluttering.



Today, I am spotlighting On an Edge of Glass by Autumn Doughton.  I just finished this book and it was so, so good!  I can't wait to read some other books by Autumn Doughton!  And now, on to the swoon:
I answer quickly before I can think about it too much.  "Photography.  I care about taking pictures." 
I'm walking again and Ben takes two quick steps to catch up.  He reaches for my arm and pulls me to a stop beside him.   
"Pictures of what?"  His fingers glide down my skin until they are resting against my palm.   
I shrug, keeping up the pretense that my insides aren't turning to goo from Ben's touch.  The reality is that my heart is rioting and I'm a ball of kinetic energy.  "Anything really.  Faces, landscapes . . ." 
Slowly, so that I'm not even sure that he's aware he's doing it, Ben laces his fingers through mine.  "Will you show me?"   
I shake my head and look down at my brown boots.  I let my eyes follow the long jagged cracks in the cement and come back to the epiphany that is our fingers threaded together.   
"I don't show anyone," I say breathily.   
"Ellie . . ."  My name falls so softly from his mouth that it makes me shiver.  "I didn't ask if you'd show anyone.  I asked if you'd show me your photos." 
The expression on his face is so hopeful and open that all the words get garbled in my head.  Before I know what I'm doing, I'm nodding.  Ben smiles and that dimple makes an appearance again.
Our hands are still clasped together sending jolts of electricity up my arm.  We're so close that our shoes are touching and his warm breath stirs the tiny, curling hairs around my face.
What happens next is not something that I plan.  It's not something that I even think about. . .
I kiss him.
I stretch up on my toes and softly brush my mouth over his.  It's gentle.  The first leaves of spring.  And for the tiniest moment, Ben is too stunned to move.  And the air is still.  So still.
Then, he seems to register what's happening and his hands slide to my waist.  He release two, tight strained breaths against my mouth, and everything changes.  Now I'm not the one doing the kissing.
This is no shy, just-between-friends kiss. This is a kiss unlike any that I've ever had.  It's the kiss of a hundred thumping kick drums, a raging earthquake.
Highly recommend this book for YA/NA contemporary fans!  It was funny, swoon-worthy and really good!  I just read about this book on someone's top books of 2013 but I can't remember who -- thank you so much for the recommendation.  I loved this book!!!!!!!  Who are you swooning over this week? Link up your Swoon below!

Comments

  1. Highly recommended alright... This is really cute, I like it. Thanks so much for sharing!
    My Swoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! That's an awesome scene. I haven't heard of this book before now, but it is DEFINITELY on my TBR list now. In fact, it's wiggled it's way up near the top. Great pick!

    Here’s My Swoon!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Ben sounds like such a sweet guy. I love how she opened up by taking a chance and kissing him! I've never heard of this book before now, but it sounds awesome! Great Swoon :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice swoon. I like the way she initiated the kiss and then he took over.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that swoon Eva! I've heard some great things about this one! I really want to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this book! But I really like this swoon. He wants HER work. And a kiss returned!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow... that was awesome!! Great build up.... definitely have to add it to my TBR pile!

    Thanx for visiting my SWOON!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  8. That swoon was so sweet! This sounds so good I have got to add this one to my TBR!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gaaahhhh I absolutely LOVED this book!! It was one of my favourites of 2013! Ben was so sweet and kind and so totally swoon worthy *sigh* Awesome swoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that she started the kiss and he took it over! Nice.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh nice swoon!!!

    Ps> I nominated you for a Liebster Award here: Isabelle's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the swoon, Eva! I'm gonna add this one to my tbr...I really like the sound of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice swoon! I love how this kiss starts off soft and unsure only to take off!

    My Swoon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?