Skip to main content

Review: The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews



Blurb from Goodreads:
Some people stay all summer long on the idyllic island of Belle Isle, North Carolina. Others come only for the weekends-and the mix between the regulars and “the weekenders” can sometimes make the sparks fly. Riley Griggs has a season of good times with friends and family ahead of her on Belle Isle when things take an unexpected turn. While waiting for her husband to arrive on the ferry one Friday afternoon, Riley is confronted by a process server who thrusts papers into her hand. And her husband is nowhere to be found.

So she turns to her island friends for help and support, but it turns out that each of them has their own secrets, and the clock is ticking as the mystery deepens...in a murderous way. Cocktail parties aside, Riley must find a way to investigate the secrets of Belle Island, the husband she might not really know, and the summer that could change everything.
My Review:
I liked this better than the last two books by this author that I read although it reminded me A LOT of Little Bitty Lies, the first book I read by this author many years ago.  Very similar themes even if the setting was different.  That being said, this was fun and pure chick lit set on an island, which I usually enjoy.  Mary Kay Andrews seems to have a repeated theme in her books of women being seriously beguiled and mislead by men -- this isn't a bad thing but it seems to occur in all of her books, at least the ones I've read.  She also seems to like second chance romance so if you are fan, this one has both!

I would recommend this to anyone wanting a fun and fast contemporary beach read -- this will definitely put you in the mood for a day at the beach and fans of Mary Kay Andrews won't be disappointed.  Add this to your beach bag along with anything and everything by Elin Hilderbrand, Nancy Thayer, and Dorothea Benton Frank!  The Weekenders was released last week on Tuesday, May 17, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
In times like these, I think it's a good policy to hope for the best, but expect the worst.  

Comments

  1. I actually haven't read anything by this author but I am always up for chick lit set on an island :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this author! I'm reading this right now and really like it. Her books are good easy reads and so far I haven't been disappointed by the books I've read. Thanks for your recommendations! I really like your blog and have read many of your recommendations ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hold on this one at the library, but I can't remember how far along in the queue I am. I've never read this author but have always wanted to read her books. They just look perfect for summertime reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like a great beach read/summer read. Wonderful review and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad this book was better than the fruit two you read by this author! <3 That's always a treat! <3 And it takes place on a FRIGGIN' ISLAND?? YES MA'AM! :)

    Epic review, E!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also haven't read anything by this author. Nice review, Eva! I'll keep this in mind when I want a beach read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the second-chance trope a lot so I'll have to check it out. But I think if it's so repetitive, then I won't read much by this author. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy second chance romances, and this is a perfect time of year for a beach/island setting. I think my favorite beach setting read was Worth the Fall by Claudia Connor, but that was less women's fiction and more straight up romance. I'm not sure it would be your kind of read though, because it has kids that play heavily into the story. Didn't you say you didn't like kids in a romance so much? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, lol! Wonderful review, Eva!

    I'm finally home for the weekend and happy to catch up with a few blogs! I can't tell you how happy I am to be home and not going anywhere! Well, except for my daughter's house for pool and BBQ time, but that feels like my second home. Hope you're having a fun and relaxing holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read anything by Andrews but I feel like I see her books everywhere. This looks like a fun summer read. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I do love a good beach read and this sounds just right!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been in the mood for beach reads, so I'll certainly have to add this one to my TBR, Eva! And I do like second chance romances. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read anything by this author but this does sound like a fun summer read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another cute summer read, this one might be more interesting for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?