Skip to main content

Review: The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson



Blurb from Goodreads:
Andie had it all planned out. 

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.

Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks)

But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life.

Because here’s the thing - if everything's planned out, you can never find the unexpected. 

And where’s the fun in that?
My Review:
So I don't think I was expecting this one to be so much like Since You've Been Gone -- the missing/absent parent(s), the list/hunt, the summer, the setting, the incredible female friendships -- this isn't a criticism since I liked Since You've Been Gone a lot but it's just to say that if you liked that one, you will love this one.  And if you didn't . . .  I actually prefer The Unexpected Everything but there are a lot of similarities and even cameos from characters in SYBG.  First and foremost, however I adored, ADORED Clark!  He is so awesome from the very first moment he's introduced.  I actually think it took me longer to warm up to Andie than her friends (seriously, this is such a fun group) and definitely than Clark but this book gave me so much nostalgia for summers in high school where it really felt like you didn't have a care in the world.  This is that type of book -- it's predictable and cute and sweet and funny but it's not earth shattering.  Sometimes, however, a book like this is exactly what I want!  I also must note that I read this right after TRK (which will probably be my most severe book hangover ever) and I still loved this one so I think that really says something.  I read this in one day, didn't want to put it down and I need more Clark in my life ASAP.  Such a great book boyfriend and such a great summer book.  I know I will re-read when I need a pick me up!

The Unexpected Everything came out earlier this week on May 3, 2016, you can purchase HERE, and I definitely recommend this to fans of Morgan Matson, Jenny Han, Jessica Love, Kasie West and cute, contemporary YA, generally.
I took a breath to continue the story when Clark's hand brushed against mine, and all the words left my head.   
I wasn't sure if it was an accident, so I kept my hand stretched down by my side, within easy reach, and what felt like a lifetime later, Clark's hand brushed mine again, sending a spark through me that I felt all the way in my toes.  He kept his hand touching mine, and then, moving a millimeter a a time, curved his fingers around so that they were resting against my palm, just brushing it, so lightly.  Then he moved up, over the curve of my thumb, and ran his index finger over the inside of my wrist in a slow circle.  I could feel my pulse fluttering beneath his fingertips, and I had to remind myself that I knew how to breathe, that I'd been doing it my whole life.  And then our palms were touching, perfectly lined up, though I feel how much bigger his hand was than mine, feel his finger-tips curving over the tops of mine, despite what Bri had always called my "weird large tree-frog hands."  We stayed that way for just a moment, and then, like we'd talked about it before, like we'd mutually picked the time, our fingers interlocked and we were holding hands.

Comments

  1. I love nostalgia and those trips down memory lane that I get from a book every now and then. That and the same type of characters are what I loved so much about the Remember When series. This does look like something I should add to my summer reading list. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I loved this one and especially Clark. He was so my kind of guy - adorable and geeky :) I still need to read SYBG but super excited for it now after this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good. I have never read a book by this author, isn't that terrible? I have Second Chance Summer at home, I need to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this quote! I love it. It perfectly catches feelings. First touch, first time holding hands… I’m looking forward to read this book. So glad you loved it, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've debated about reading this, but I think I'm going to go for it. It sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this sounds pretty cute. Glad you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been seeing this around and it just looks like it would be so much fun and o far, all of the reviews have been fabulous for it. So glad you enjoyed it too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't such a huge fan of Since You've Been Gone, so I figured I would pass on this one, but I'll look into it. I know there was a signing recently near where I'm at. I've been needing a great fluffy contemporary!

    - Eli @ The Silver Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. OhhhI really want to read this because I LOVED Since You've Been Gone. But I actually really didn't like Second Chance Summer? So it's made me nervous to try this, buuuut....your review is so good and convincing. xD I shall dash to my library and see if they're going to buy it. ;D

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was reading this but it's so freaking long! I switched to the audio and it's 17 hours long! I actually DNF Since You've Been Gone but I'm hoping I like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read MM first book (it's late and I can't for the life of me remember the title!) and remember enjoying it. Cute hardcopy format with receipts, playlists and whatnot included. This sounds cute! Wonderful review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have actually been avoiding this one because of light/cheesy/predictable it seemed and even though I enjoy those kind of books time to time I just wasn't really interested in reading this one for some reason. After hearing all the positive reviews I've definitely had a change of heart and am eager to get my hands on a copy! The plot, the characters, the drama all seemed to be favoured in this book so I'm excited to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it when authors include cameos from characters from previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when authors include cameos from characters from previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, this seriously sounds adorable! I'm glad you enjoyed this, and I'm really like the sounds of Clarke! I have Since You've Been Gone but need to pick up this one, maybe I'll read SYBG first? Lovely review, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read SYBG and Second Chance Summer and absolutely love them, so I'm excited to read this one! It sounds awesome and that quotes you share are so swoony <33 Anyway, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are absolutely right! Sweet, cute and funny is something I also need to read from time to time. We cannot read earth-shattering books all the time, right? This novel has been on my radar for some time, so I am glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never read a book by Morgan Matson before but I've heard nothing but amazing things about her books so (thanks your review) I think I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've actually wanted to read this one ever since I saw all the dogs on the cover xD But it's good to know the book is great too! ;) I've yet to read anything by the author but this might be my first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds good.
    I haven't read Sinc You've Benn Gone,but I plan to read both books :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love books that when you read them you know you will re-read them for when you're in a slump or feeling down. I only have it with The Deal but I want another book to do that for me. I've seen TUE around a lot and I have to say, I didn't see the big fuzz about it. But if it's as fun as you make it sound, I need this one ASAP! Lovely review, Eva!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this book too, Clark was a more down to earth love interest than some of Morgan Matson's other attractive males haha! I also reviewed this book on my blog if you're interested: https://readbyjess.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/the-unexpected-everything-morgan-matson_22.html
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  23. Clark is a great book boyfriend and I really enjoyed the friendships that Andie had too. You are right about the similar feel to Since You've Been Gone. I loved that one too but I think I enjoyed reading this one a little more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant review! :-) This wasn't my favourite from Morgan Matson, but there's no denying that she's a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?