Skip to main content

Review: Desert Boys by Christopher McCormick



Blurb from Goodreads:
A VIVID AND ASSURED WORK OF FICTION FROM A MAJOR NEW VOICE FOLLOWING THE LIFE OF A YOUNG MAN GROWING UP, LEAVING HOME, AND COMING BACK AGAIN, MARKED BY THE STARK BEAUTY OF CALIFORNIA'S MOJAVE DESERT AND THE VARIOUS FATES OF THOSE WHO LEAVE AND THOSE WHO STAY BEHIND.

This series of powerful, intertwining stories illuminates Daley Kushner's world - the family, friends and community that have both formed and constrained him, and his new life in San Francisco. Back home, the desert preys on those who cannot conform: an alfalfa farmer on the outskirts of town; two young girls whose curiosity leads to danger; a black politician who once served as his school's confederate mascot; Daley's mother, an immigrant from Armenia; and Daley himself, introspective and queer. Meanwhile, in another desert on the other side of the world, war threatens to fracture Daley's most meaningful - and most fraught - connection to home, his friendship with Robert Karinger.

A luminous debut, Desert Boys by Chris McCormick traces the development of towns into cities, of boys into men, and the haunting effects produced when the two transformations overlap. Both a bildungsroman and a portrait of a changing place, the book mines the terrain between the desire to escape and the hunger to belong.
My Review:
I'm not sure that I am really the best person to review a collection of short stories because that's not favorite medium to read.  That being said, this collection felt more like ones that I have loved (such as The Tsar of Love and Techno) because all of the stories had a connection that could almost feel like a novel when read together.  Ostensibly, the stories are all about growing up in the sprawling California desert outside of LA, in Antelope Valley. This didn't feel like fiction, which isn't bad but it did feel, at times, as though the author was trying too hard.  I, too, grew up in the desert and I have a real affinity for it so this was pretty seamless for me and I read it one day.  I do like Chris McCormick's voice and will look for more from him in the future.

I would recommend this to fans of collections of short stories, especially those that can't escape the author's upbringing.  This collection was a great example of writing what you know but I will be curious to see that this author does next.  Other favorite desert settings for me include Swerve and Gold Fame Citrus (which is probably my favorite read of this year so far even though it was released late last year) -- highly different genres but both incredible nonetheless.  Desert Boys was released earlier this week on Tuesday, May 3, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
She was beautiful in the way people call the desert beautiful, which is to say that although some people actually believed it, most of the time it was said in response to someone else's denigration of it.  

Comments

  1. I received snippets of this through my online book club but never got to read them. I didn't realize this was a short story collection. 2015 was the year of the debut, and 2016 is looking like the year of the short stories. You are so right in the connection between the stories making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like short stories either, but I do like that the stories in this one are connected. I'm glad the writing was strong in this one.
    Lovely review, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a huge short story person myself but if they do have a connection that sounds like something I would handle better. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind a collection of short stories. Even though this sounds a bit different from my normal fare, I'm working hard to read outside my comfort zone this year so I think I'll add this to the TBR. Thanks for sharing your great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like something I would enjoy. I like short story collections and haven't read much about different ones set in the desert! Great Review!
    Tori @InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not the biggest fan of short stories either. Unless they are Stephen King's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading short stories (especially David Almond's)

    Might check this out :)

    I've got the secret garden one and am only on the second page! It takes so long XD

    a.s.damea @ <a www.reviewingdreamer.blogspot.com

    Followed via GFC

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big fan of a book of short stories, either, Eva. This doesn't sound like anything I'd enjoy, but happy to see you liked it at least. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard good things about this book thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Short stories are a hit or miss for me so I don't know how it would be with this one. At least the author's writing is good so I'll keep a look out for his future work. Great review!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?