Skip to main content

Review: Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers



Blurb from Goodreads:
His world is music. Her world is silent.
Ali Collins was a child prodigy destined to become one of the greatest musicians of the twenty-first century—until she was diagnosed with a life-changing brain tumor. Now, at seventeen, Ali lives in a soundless world where she gets by with American Sign Language and lip-reading. She’s a constant disappointment to her father, a retired cop fighting his own demons, and the bruises are getting harder to hide.

When Ali accidentally wins a backstage tour with the chart-topping band Tone Deaf, she’s swept back into the world of music. Jace Beckett, the nineteen-year-old lead singer of the band, has a reputation. He’s a jerk and a player, and Ali wants nothing to do with him. But there’s more to Jace than the tabloids let on. When Jace notices Ali’s bruises and offers to help her escape to New York, Ali can’t turn down the chance at freedom and a fresh start. Soon she’s traveling cross-country, hidden away in Jace’s RV as the band finishes their nationwide tour. With the help of Jace, Ali sets out to reboot her life and rediscover the music she once loved.
My Review:
 
I think I should probably blame myself for reading this one to start because even the premise sounds a bit cheesy.  In my defense, however, I have been wanting to find a great rockstar romance, even if it's YA.  Unfortunately, this wasn't it.  While I immediately felt sympathy for both Ali and Jace, I'm not sure they fit as more than friends.  I also was a bit blindsided when the friendship became more not because I wasn't expecting that to eventually happen but it seemed like it happened really fast given the pace of the story and what we know about the characters when it happened.  And from that point, it was like fast forward was pushed in terms of Ali's and Jace's romantic relationship -- not in a physical way but in an emotional way.  I did like the secondary characters of Killer and Arrow (I'm not making up these names) who were a couple and also in the band -- they were very sweet.

I'm not sure who would like this one -- I'm not sure whether the representation of deafness was accurate or not but it seemed like a fair portrayal to me.  This one is also kind of like Maybe Someday, light.  Tone Deaf came out last week on May 3, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
Finally.  That's the only word running through my head as I kiss her back.  Maybe not the most romantic sentiment, but I can't help it.  All those times we've kissed, she's felt so hesitant.  Now she's just as desperate as I am, and her lips are sweet and incredible.   
When she pulls away, we're both breathing hard.  Ali reaches up and wipes away the last of her tears.  I kiss her forehead and brush my fingertip over the hesitant smile on her lips, relieved to see it back.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear this wasn't for you, Eva! I've been hearing a lot of good things about this one lately so I didn't know whether it was worth picking it up or not. It, umm, does sound pretty damn cheesy IMO so maybe not...? We'll have to see. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this didn't quite work out for you. I think I have this somewhere too, I think I will end up passing on it. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, that really stinks. I agree, though, the idea DID sound a little cliché. I hate it when writers have to add in even MORE drama than necessary, like with the abusive dad issue. First she has cancer, loses her hearing, AND is being beaten? Can the girl get a break? I think that would've put me off, too.

    I hope your next read is better!

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you don't really care for this one. I close books about music and I'm intrigued by dead characters. So I may still give this one a try! Fantastic Review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this one sounds very disappointing. I do love a good rockstar romance, sounds like this story was a bit of a overkill with all the extra drama and other elements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've heard of this book but it looks like I'm not missing much. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just reading that blurb reminded me of Colleen Hoover- just her kind of writing- and so it comes as no surprise that you found it quite similar to one of her books :D I'm sorry this book didn't work for you, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that sucks! This sounded like it had potential, but it doesn't look like the couple has any sort of romantic chemistry. I'll have to skip this one.
    Sorry this wasn't for you, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesss, I had the same problem with the romance. It was sweet and all but ultimately it felt too rushed :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm sorry hun. I really was interested for the title but not anymore. For YA rockstar books, I recommend Willow Creek series by Micalea Smeltzer. First book is actually NA but it's so tame it can be YA, except for the college setting. There IS one part of that book near the end that was blown up out of proportion but besides that, it was a great book. I love the series as well, though the MC's growl a lot and I've actually told the author to tone it down haha I'm friends with the author but if you check my ratings/reviews, I'm very honest with my feelings, even rating 3.5. But yeah, still a good series and the last book was great! I hope you give them a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, this book sounds pretty bad but, I tend to avoid titles with musical themes. I haven't read a single one I like yet so I've been avoiding them. Even the quote sounds like cheese. Sorry this one didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?