Skip to main content

Review: Troublemaker by Linda Howard



Blurb from Goodreads:
For Morgan Yancy, an operative and team leader in a paramilitary group, nothing comes before his job. But when he’s ambushed and almost killed, his supervisor is determined to find out who’s after the members of his elite squad—and why. Due to worries that this unknown enemy will strike again, Morgan is sent to a remote location and told to lay low and stay vigilant. But between a tempting housemate he’s determined to protect and a deadly threat waiting in the shadows, keeping under the radar is proving to be his most dangerous mission yet.

The part-time police chief of a small West Virginian mountain town, Isabeau “Bo” Maran finally has her life figured out. She’s got friends, a dog, and a little money in the bank. Then Morgan Yancy shows up on her doorstep. Bo doesn’t need a mysterious man in her life—especially a troublemaker as enticing and secretive as Morgan.

The harder they fight the intense heat between them, the closer Morgan and Bo become, even though she knows he’s hiding from something. But discovering the truth could cost Bo more than she’s willing to give. And when Morgan’s cover is blown, it might just cost her life.
My Review:
There is a reason that I pre-order and anticipate and read all of Linda Howard's books and have for the past twelve plus years—they are just so damn good!  For me, she is the pinnacle of romantic suspense with just the right mix and she always, ALWAYS writes such incredible chemistry.  I would have preferred a bit more suspense in this one but  Troublemaker was still so fun. Bo Maran has gotten used to living alone with only her dog Tricks for company when she reluctantly agrees to let her stepbrother's operative recuperate at her remote West Virginia barn.  Of course, neither her stepbrother nor Morgan, the operative, tell Bo the whole story.  You can take it from there in terms of the plot but I cannot underestimate Tricks as a character in this story -- I am a dog lover so this was easy for me to accept but she kind of was the star of the book.  This hits many tropes -- pet lovers, small town, a bit of enemies to lovers -- and it all worked for me.

Troublemaker came out last week on May 10, 2016, you can purchase HERE, and I definitely recommend this to fans of romantic suspense and any contemporary romance fans that are also dog lovers!
It was like before—the hot taste of him, the thrill of recognition, the instant hunger.  But it was different, too, because neither of them was riding the knife edge of anger.  There was a slowness to the way their mouths clung together, a laziness to the dip and stoke of his tongue.  Did laughter give a different, lighter taste to his mouth?  Did it to hers?  He wasn't holding her head now; instead his hands were gripping her waist, the heat of his palms burning the softness of her skin as he brought her body close against him.   

Comments

  1. What a great review! I haven't read a book by Linda Howard (*gasp*), but you've made me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The past twelve years?! You're quite the faithful reader! I've never heard of Linda Howard, but romantic suspense sounds like a pretty awesome niche genre and who DOESN'T love good chemistry, right? XD Good review!

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding these authors we can depends on for good reads. Glad this one didn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm glad you loved this one. You know I have never read one of her books. A lot of them look intriguing, but I've just never picked one up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this one - great review! I had started it awhile ago and couldn't get into it, but I'm hoping to try it again. I've always loved Howard's books before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one, too, Eva (as you know) and yes, Tricks was very much a big part of the plot which took me a little to get used to even though I'm a big animal lover. I did fall for the Princess just like everyone else, though, lol! Great review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?