Skip to main content

Review: Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods



Blurb from Goodreads:
When zodiac-obsessed teen Wilamena Carlisle discovers a planetary alignment that won’t repeat for a decade, she’s forced to tackle her greatest astrological fear: The Fifth House—relationships and love. 

But when Wil falls for a sensitive guitar player hailing from the wrong side of the astrology chart, she must decide whether a cosmically doomed love is worth rejecting her dead mother’s legacy and the very system she’s faithfully followed through a lifetime of unfailing belief.
My Review:
First I've got to warn you that this involves a definite love triangle between Wil and two brothers -- I don't think that's alluded to in the summary but I know it's one of those things some people avoid.  I must also tell you that, although I usually don't go for love triangles, this one didn't bother me.  Putting that information aside, I really liked this one -- it was a cute, funny and quick read.  And Wil's ultimate love match?  He scored MAJOR book boyfriend points in my book -- I just liked him so much (and I won't tell you who he is)!!  There were a few lingering issues for me-- primarily, that both brothers fall for Wil within minutes after meeting her and both become quite a bit obsessed with her seemingly without much reason other than that she's very unique; and secondarily, that a few of the plot points that were supposed to be the reason for certain behaviors of the characters were glossed over despite being rather serious in nature.  Neither of these issues prevented me from enjoying this book, however, and I think you will easily love Wil despite wanting to shake her and impart some sense into her a few times while reading the book. 

I would definitely recommend this to fans of contemporary YA romance!  If you're looking for other YA contemporary romance where the MC is torn between brothers, I would recommend The Vincent Boys by Abbi GlinesThe Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han and one of my all time favorites, Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt.   Summer of Supernovas came out earlier this month on May 10, 2016, you can purchase HERE, and I really liked it.
You can't force yourself to fall in love with someone! It doesn't work that way! Love can't be measured or quantified like stars.  It's messy and unpredictable.  Hell, sometimes it's even wrong.  And sometimes wrong is right.

Comments

  1. I thought this was such a fun summer read. I'm glad you did enjoy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this, Eva. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it given the fact that there's a triangle and I HAATE those. I loved the boy she picked too because OMG SWOON!
    Lovely review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good quick read....but I can be picky about love triangles. It depends on how they are written. Glad you liked this one. Sounds perfect for the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like everyone has thought this was cute and enjoyed it. Love triangles do not bother me in the least so I should be good to go on this one - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear this was a decent book. I don't mind love triangles much, only if it goes on for too long. Thanks for this review, nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Vincent Brothers, but that kind of love triangle is messy and painful! I'm not reading much YA anymore, but I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it, Eva! Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fell in love with the wrong brother in this book! That's like, a first for me, totally took me by surprise. SOS is definitely cutesy and perfect for beach reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually not bothered by love triangles but then, I'm sort of picky in what I think might be a love triangle. haha This actually looks like a very cute book that I might enjoy as a filler between heavy topic novels and really emotionally draining books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick warned me about this love triangle and I don't really mind love triangles between brothers. I know a lot of readers hate them but I sort of like them. Glad you liked this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really like love-triangles unless they are done very good. But the insta-love? From the two brothers? At the same time? That would put me off completely. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to avoid love triangles, but I have to admit, I curious because you gave this one a chance -- the author must've done something right in the love triangle aspect? Having them being brothers though. Hm, not sure about that bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks SO cute!! I don't even mind a love triangle, so I don't think that would bother me really- especially since you don't generally like them and it didn't bother you! I definitely want to read it, and I am so glad you enjoyed iT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heard this one was pretty cute, and I don't mind love triangles either!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?