Skip to main content

Review: The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett



Blurb from Goodreads:
In one moment, two lives will be changed forever . . . and forever . . . and forever.

The one thing that’s certain is they met on a Cambridge street by chance and felt a connection that would last a lifetime. But as for what happened next . . . They fell wildly in love, or went their separate ways. They kissed, or they thought better of it. They married soon after, or were together for a few weeks before splitting up. They grew distracted and disappointed with their daily lives together, or found solace together only after hard years spent apart.  With The Versions of Us, Laura Barnett has created a world as magical and affecting as those that captivated readers in One Day and Life After Life. It is a tale of possibilities and consequences that rings across the shifting decades, from the fifties, sixties, seventies, and on to the present, showing how even the smallest choices can define the course of our lives.  
My Review:
So the premise of this one was incredible and the style in which it was written totally intrigued me.  The books starts off with one moment and three different possibilities occur in three subsequent chapters depending on what happens in that moment.  The book then continues to take place in three chapter blocks, detailing each of these versions through the years.  This is not a new approach but it was done well here.  The problem for me lay in what happened in all those spanning 50+ years between this couple -- it was just so depressing to me.  Maybe it's because I don't want to think that people are inherently so awful but I also had a hard time understanding why these people who were so in love would cheat on each other again and again and eventually change so much.  I guess this was meant to show a realistic portrayal of marriage over 50 years no matter what happened in that first moment but I was hoping for more of a love story with smooth lines.  This is still a love story but it is so heart-wrenching -- probably moreso for me than other books like Outlander or something because it was so very real.  A bit too real, maybe.  This could totally have been my mood but I was just so sad reading this one.

I would recommend this to fans of realistic fiction, this is sort of contemporary and historical based on its time span as well as fans of Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  This was exceptionally well done -- I just wasn't quite in the mood to read such a downer.  I did love the ending, though!  The Versions of Us was released last week week on Tuesday, May 3, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
He is, Jim knows, far more afflicted by nostalgia than his wife: it is he who captures each new episode in the children's lives  birthdays, first steps, outing to the theatre  with his camera who sends off each roll of film to be developed, pores endlessly over each clutch of photographs.  it is, Jim supposes, the same urge that once drove him to paint  the need to capture a moment, whether real or imagined, before it disappears.  And yet the attempt, it seems to him now, is always doomed to fail, whether in art (those meaningless abstract daubs on which he'd wasted so much time, and which now induce in him only a slight embarrassment, and, yes, a certain sadness) or in those family snapshots.  There is always a slippage between the image in his memory   Eva brushing a lock of hair away from her face; Jennifer in her school uniform, so smart, so quietly grown-up; Daniel grinning messily from his high chair  and the photographs he spread out on the kitchen table 

Comments

  1. I just removed my hold status at the library for this one because of the length, but I love realistic fiction. I might put a hold on it again to read down the road when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a great read, and since I haven;t read many books with this alternative life, premise, I will definitely be adding it to my TBR. Great Review!
    Tori @InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh I don't think I would be able to stomach this one. I think all the heartache and cheating would destroy me. It does sound really interesting though, like a Sliding Doors in book form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The books starts off with one moment and three different possibilities occur in three subsequent chapters depending on what happens in that moment." That sentence got to me. I'm intrigued and want to read this story now. Great review. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like these types of books but you really have to be in the mood for them especially when they can be so heart wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, I was really looking forward to this one, but I don't like depressing books...but I do love Maybe In Another Life...ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of this. I haven't tried Maybe in Another Life yet but I plan to. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The versions of us sounds like an interesting story ♡ Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The versions of us sounds like an interesting story ♡ Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds heartwrenching... but I don't know that I'd read it as good as it seems. Sometimes I don't want heartwrenching and realistic, I want a happy ending, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?