Skip to main content

This & That #3: Movie Edition

This & That – Movie Edition!!

This and That” is a feature created by Megan @ Reading Books Likes a Boss and borrowed here with permission. Megan created this feature and I owe this post to her brilliance.  Not only should you check out her blog, generally, but her This & That recommendations are utterly perfect! Megan created this feature to showcase books that either sound similar or have similar themes, and thus I am recommending that you read the "that book" because you are a a fan of the “this book.” 

About the Media:

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid
I’m thinking of ending things. Once this thought arrives, it stays. It sticks. It lingers. It’s always there. Always.

Jake once said, “Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can’t fake a thought.”

And here’s what I’m thinking: I don’t want to be here. 

In this deeply suspenseful and irresistibly unnerving debut novel, a man and his girlfriend are on their way to a secluded farm. When the two take an unexpected detour, she is left stranded in a deserted high school, wondering if there is any escape at all. What follows is a twisted unraveling that will haunt you long after the last page is turned. 

In this smart, suspenseful, and intense literary thriller, debut novelist Iain Reid explores the depths of the human psyche, questioning consciousness, free will, the value of relationships, fear, and the limitations of solitude. Reminiscent of Jose Saramago’s early work, Michel Faber’s cult classic Under the Skin, and Lionel Shriver’s We Need to Talk about Kevin, I’m Thinking of Ending Things is an edgy, haunting debut. Tense, gripping, and atmospheric, this novel pulls you in from the very first page. 

Haute Tension / High Tension
Best friends Marie and Alex set off to Alex's parent's secluded homestead in the country to relax and study. Come nightfall, Hell pulls up at the front door. Alex, bound and gagged, is taken away, with Marie left eluding the intruder. Can she save her friend's life in time? Or is everything all that it seems?


The Why:

I recently read and loved I'm Thinking of Ending Things --  I think in the foreword of this book you are warned that you will be terrified and uneasy from the beginning of the book and you're not even sure why.  Well, when I started reading it, I kept remembering one of my favorite movies, Haute/High Tension (it's French but you can either watch it dubbed or with subtitles (definitely my preference).  They both involve remote, rural locations and not everything being what it seems.  If you've seen or read either of these, you will get the twist right away but I was still blown away by both of these, independently.  The ultimate in psychological thrillers!

So, what do you think?  Have you read I'm Thinking of Ending Things or seen High Tension?  Isn't this a perfect pairing?! 
Do you have a favorite This & That pairing?  Let me know!

Comments

  1. I'm not much of a fan of the book, but I totally want to watch that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That movie sounds great! I'm fluent in French too so I'd watch the original. Thanks for sharing, Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i can't with that movie. I'm such a wuss, I know, but I just shrivel up inside! Thing is, I can't decide about the book yet. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the book and love the trailer. I'll look it up and see if I can find a copy to rent. It looks thrilling for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I see I am missing out by not watching High Tension!! I do like movies or stories set in rural areas, especially when its a intense story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this feature! I'm not familiar with either the book or the movie. And the movie is totally not what I would usually go for but seeing the trailer makes me so intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of the movie but I'll check it out! I'll probably watch it with subtitles. I've seen a few movies on Netflix that are French and I enjoy them with subtitles :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard Megan talk about this book but thrillers aren't really my thing, especially in movies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting pairing! I just got through rereading I'm Thinking of Ending Things by listening to the audio. *shudders* I'll have to check out this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read this book and read that movie!! Haha. Terrific post. :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?