Skip to main content

Review: The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay



Blurb from Goodreads:
Lucy Alling makes a living selling rare books, often taking suspicious measures to reach her goals. When her unorthodox methods are discovered, Lucy's secret ruins her relationship with her boss and her boyfriend James—leaving Lucy in a heap of hurt, and trouble. Something has to change; she has to change.

In a sudden turn of events, James's wealthy grandmother Helen hires Lucy as a consultant for a London literary and antiques excursion. Lucy reluctantly agrees and soon discovers Helen holds secrets of her own. In fact, Helen understands Lucy's predicament better than anyone else.

As the two travel across England, Lucy benefits from Helen's wisdom, as Helen confronts the ghosts of her own past. Everything comes to a head at Haworth, home of the Brontë sisters, where Lucy is reminded of the sisters' beloved heroines, who, with tenacity and resolution, endured—even in the midst of change.

Now Lucy must go back into her past in order to move forward. And while it may hold mistakes and regrets, she will prevail—if only she can step into the life that's been waiting for her all along.
My Review:
 
In the very first pages of this book, you will find yourself not only immersed in a cross between a Dickens and a Brontë novel but also deep in the world of high end interior designing with a bent toward antique book collecting.  I found these descriptions fascinating and could picture the entire world of Lucy so well!  And then she travels to England and the descriptions were even more magnanimous -- I lived there for two years and I felt like I was right back in the thick of it but seeing it through a newcomer's eyes and with that same wonderment.  

I absolutely love Katherine Reay's writing and how she manages to weave bits and pieces of the classics (think: Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, Elizabeth Gaskell, and the Brontës) into each of her novels whether through plot, quotes, message -- these classic books come to life in our time when reading Reay's novels.  She also makes the city of Chicago shine and come to life in a way that makes you simultaneously long to be right there but also feel like you are there at the same time.  I've loved every single one she's written so far and she is on my auto-buy list.  Of course, Dear Mr. Knightley is still my favorite but they should all be read!!

I highly recommend for fans of the classics like anything by Jane Austen, Charles Dickens or the Brontë sisters.  Fans of Katherine Reay will not be disappointed in her latest!!  The  Brontë Plot comes out TOMORROW, November 3, 2015, you can purchase HERE!!
James stared at her.  "I've never heard anyone talk about books like you do.  It's like they're your friends."  
"Aren't they yours?"

Comments

  1. I haven't read anything by this author before but I have seen this one around a bit. I will definitely be adding this or one of er others to my TBR - Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beach Reads In August Giveaway Hop

I am so excited to be participating another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite beach reads books (above and each image is linked to the  goodreads  description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Snowed In? So Read Giveaway Hop!!

I am so excited to be participating in another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite books (above and each image is linked to the goodreads description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): Should There Be ARCs?

First of all, thank you SO much for reading my very first "discussion" post .  The response was so amazing and I am so grateful to each and every one of you that took the time to read it.  I would like to preface my next discussion post in the same way -- nothing is new and I'm sure that this topic has been discussed by someone, somewhere but this is what is on my mind: SHOULD THERE BE ARCs? Truly, not everything I think about and write about is regarding Maggie Stiefvater's epic series, The Raven Cycle , but it just so happens that this discussion post will mention this series, too.   Those of us that are obsessed with this series (like me) know that there will not be any ARCs for the highly (HIGHLY) anticipated last book of this series, The Raven King . There will be no ARCs (advanced reader copies). Y'all are just going to have to trust me. https://t.co/xYDv0q1tXN — Maggie Stiefvater (@mstiefvater) December 5, 2015 Oddly, I think this ...