Skip to main content

Review: The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay



Blurb from Goodreads:
Lucy Alling makes a living selling rare books, often taking suspicious measures to reach her goals. When her unorthodox methods are discovered, Lucy's secret ruins her relationship with her boss and her boyfriend James—leaving Lucy in a heap of hurt, and trouble. Something has to change; she has to change.

In a sudden turn of events, James's wealthy grandmother Helen hires Lucy as a consultant for a London literary and antiques excursion. Lucy reluctantly agrees and soon discovers Helen holds secrets of her own. In fact, Helen understands Lucy's predicament better than anyone else.

As the two travel across England, Lucy benefits from Helen's wisdom, as Helen confronts the ghosts of her own past. Everything comes to a head at Haworth, home of the Brontë sisters, where Lucy is reminded of the sisters' beloved heroines, who, with tenacity and resolution, endured—even in the midst of change.

Now Lucy must go back into her past in order to move forward. And while it may hold mistakes and regrets, she will prevail—if only she can step into the life that's been waiting for her all along.
My Review:
 
In the very first pages of this book, you will find yourself not only immersed in a cross between a Dickens and a Brontë novel but also deep in the world of high end interior designing with a bent toward antique book collecting.  I found these descriptions fascinating and could picture the entire world of Lucy so well!  And then she travels to England and the descriptions were even more magnanimous -- I lived there for two years and I felt like I was right back in the thick of it but seeing it through a newcomer's eyes and with that same wonderment.  

I absolutely love Katherine Reay's writing and how she manages to weave bits and pieces of the classics (think: Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, Elizabeth Gaskell, and the Brontës) into each of her novels whether through plot, quotes, message -- these classic books come to life in our time when reading Reay's novels.  She also makes the city of Chicago shine and come to life in a way that makes you simultaneously long to be right there but also feel like you are there at the same time.  I've loved every single one she's written so far and she is on my auto-buy list.  Of course, Dear Mr. Knightley is still my favorite but they should all be read!!

I highly recommend for fans of the classics like anything by Jane Austen, Charles Dickens or the Brontë sisters.  Fans of Katherine Reay will not be disappointed in her latest!!  The  Brontë Plot comes out TOMORROW, November 3, 2015, you can purchase HERE!!
James stared at her.  "I've never heard anyone talk about books like you do.  It's like they're your friends."  
"Aren't they yours?"

Comments

  1. I haven't read anything by this author before but I have seen this one around a bit. I will definitely be adding this or one of er others to my TBR - Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?