Skip to main content

Review: Island In The Sea: A Majorca Love Story by Anita Hughes



Blurb from Goodreads:
A romance between an ambitious young music executive and the aging celebrity song writer who is 18 months overdue on his latest delivery.
My Review:
 
The description of this book is seriously misleading!  From reading that description, you would think that this is a love story (heck, you should think that even from the title!)  And that's where you'd be wrong -- for almost the entire book, the MC Juliet (the "ambitious young music executive") is cozying up to a tennis player from New Zealand.  It isn't until the last 20% of the book that she decides (somehow) that she is in love with a song writer -- despite absolutely no indications in the rest of the book that she has any romantic interest in this guy, she slips and falls and he helps her up and she decides she's in love!  Very bizarre.  I felt a bit blindsided.  The one saving grace in this book is the setting -- I want to visit Majorca so much!  But I didn't really need to know every single stitch of clothing each person wore, every morsel of food they ate and, again, the daily spritz of perfume.

Unfortunately, the only other book I've read by Anita Hughes, Rome in Love, was also a bust for me and for many of the same reasons -- I can't seem to jive with her third person POV, which tells rather than shows.  I can't say that I would recommend this one -- I would instead read Elin Hilderbrand, Nancy Thayer, or Rosalind James for contemporary summer island romance.  Island in the Sea comes out next week, April 16, 2016, and you can purchase HERE!  
"Don't tell me you are in a long distance relationship filled with Skype session and endless texts."  Lionel sighed.  "The fastest way to end the human race is to conduct love affairs through a metallic device that AutoCorrects every original thought."

Comments

  1. Oh, my! I definitely would have thought romance, love story, etc. from the cover AND the title. I'm so bad to judge a book by its cover, and this is one I would have picked up thinking that it would slay me. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but two for two on the author's books? At least you gave the author's work another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is extremely misleading! I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I would feel totally misled by this one... and probably be annoyed by it. The cover and title scream summer romance. At least it had a great setting! Sounds like you've given this author a fair shot and it hasn't gone well.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would have really bummed me out to pick this up and then not get a love story. Thanks so much for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sure sounds like it sucks. I won't even give it a second glance. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate telling instead of showing. Really an annoying way of storytelling. This doesn't sound like my kind of story. Focusing on one romance for 80% of the book only to switch the last 20%? No thanks. Sorry to hear this was a dud. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you and Kathy, this book totally sounds like it would have more romance than it did. The 'romance' that was there doesn't sound like it would work for me either. I need some build-up so that I can feel something. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beach Reads In August Giveaway Hop

I am so excited to be participating another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite beach reads books (above and each image is linked to the  goodreads  description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Snowed In? So Read Giveaway Hop!!

I am so excited to be participating in another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite books (above and each image is linked to the goodreads description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): Should There Be ARCs?

First of all, thank you SO much for reading my very first "discussion" post .  The response was so amazing and I am so grateful to each and every one of you that took the time to read it.  I would like to preface my next discussion post in the same way -- nothing is new and I'm sure that this topic has been discussed by someone, somewhere but this is what is on my mind: SHOULD THERE BE ARCs? Truly, not everything I think about and write about is regarding Maggie Stiefvater's epic series, The Raven Cycle , but it just so happens that this discussion post will mention this series, too.   Those of us that are obsessed with this series (like me) know that there will not be any ARCs for the highly (HIGHLY) anticipated last book of this series, The Raven King . There will be no ARCs (advanced reader copies). Y'all are just going to have to trust me. https://t.co/xYDv0q1tXN — Maggie Stiefvater (@mstiefvater) December 5, 2015 Oddly, I think this ...