Skip to main content

Review: Swerve by Vicki Pettersson



Blurb from Goodreads:
It’s high summer in the Mojave Desert, and Kristine Rush and her fiancé, Daniel, are en route from Las Vegas to Lake Arrowhead, California, for the July Fourth holiday weekend. But when Daniel is abducted from a desolate rest stop, Kristine is forced to choose: return home unharmed, but never to see her fiancé again, or plunge forward into the searing desert to find him…where a killer lies in wait. 
My Review:
Despite being from a fairly unpopulated state, it's amazing how often places in it are used as settings in books I read.  And yet, usually something in the description of a place I know so well is off, sometimes ruining an entire book for me.  I try to move past the inaccuracy and often fail.  That being said, the vast majority of Swerve weaves through and over places I know well, intimately even, and every description I read immediately took me back to those places -- the feel, the smell, the very nature of the place.  But, even if you didn't know these places, if you had never been to a single one, you will feel them, and be transported to every moment Kristine is in that place, reading this book.  

The descriptions, the pushing story, the thrill of not knowing what will happen next and being terrified to find out -- I was amazed by all of this when reading this book.  There were portions that I could. not. put. down.  This is the first book I've read by Vicki Pettersson but it will not be the last!  I highly recommend this book to fans of thrillers and recent favorites like The Girl on A Train, Marrow, and Gone Girl -- there is that same (better, here, in my opinion) twisted anticipation and, without spoiling anything, Kristine is a great narrator in this book -- a true fighter.

Swerve comes out tomorrow, July 7, 2015, you can purchase HERE, and I highly, HIGHLY recommend it! 
It's July 3, so the sun is a heat lamp with no off switch, the blacktop road a cast-iron griddle, and any living thing caught between the two is just meat set to singe on high.  I tried to tell Daniel this.  I know this swath of high desert as well as I know his profile.  The Mojave's cracked surface is as familiar to me as the dark mole tucked to the side of his right eyebrow-- his only imperfection, and one I love.

Comments

  1. I have never heard of this book before, but I'm really curious about it now. I just recently read a thriller book that I loved, so I'm definitely in thriller mood right now. Also, I've got to read Gillian Flynn! I can't believe I still haven't read her books yet.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick -- this one was really good! Perfect summer read if you like thrillers!!

      Delete
  2. Wow -- this sounds super scary! I'm a city person, so I don't think dark alleys are scary but the idea of a deserted highway and a killer is so creepy. Thanks for letting me know about this!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has been on my watch list, so I'm happy to see such a glowing review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when I read a book set here in Oregon and it is done right. I just read another book review for this one and I am almost ready to read this. I am hoping it isn't too dark and disturbing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished The Girl on the Train and really liked it! I've never heard of this one before, but if you're recommending it I will have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! It has the same sort of mystery/thriller aspect that is hard to put down!!

      Delete
  6. Confession: I peeked at the ending at 10%. Don't hit me! I just can't stand the suspense, it's that good, right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is completely new to me but I love that the author did her research and it all felt real to you having been there before. It sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so interested in this now - I loved Girl on the Train and Gone Girl ( have Marwow just didn't read it yet). Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely going to check this one out. Great review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?