Skip to main content

Review: After Hours by Claire Kennedy



Blurb from Goodreads:
Isa, Xavi, Peter, and Finn know that a job at the high-end Waterside Cafe isn't just about waiting tables. It's about the gossip, the hook-ups, the after-hours parties and, most of all, it's about Tips.

Tips--the high-stakes game based on dares. Whoever completes the most dares wins the collected money. A sum that could change a wasted summer into a Summer to Remember.

Isa is the new girl with an embarrassing secret, and as long as she stays on top of her game, she sees no reason why anyone could ever find out.

Xavi will do anything for the money...absolutely anything.

Peter, Xavi's stepbrother, has been in love with her for years, and he thinks the game is the perfect time to confess his feelings.

Finn is in the game just for the thrill. He has enough tips coming in to keep him happy...even if those tips come with some conditions.

From seduction to stealing to threats, the dares are a complete free-for-all, and only the best can win.

The sophisticated Waterside Cafe is anything but classy behind the scenes...and things are about to get dirty.
My Review:
 
After Hours was unfortunately not one of the better books I've read this year.  It was juvenile and puerile.  I'm not a prude but there is something very wrong about a 30+ year old man preying on teenagers for sexual favors as well as holding contests that not only involve illegal acts but disgusting sexual acts as well.  I was hoping this would be a lighthearted read like watching an 80s movie (there are aspects of Loverboy in this as well) but it was just dirty and sad.  Also, the misspellings, misuse of words and diction made this book very difficult to finish.

I can't say that I would recommend this to anyone but others may like it.  After Hours was just released last week, and you can purchase HERE.
"Thanks for coming in, Xavi," Rico says.  He kicks his shiny shoes up on his desk.  One of his soles has a flattened slab of pink gum attached to it.  Ew.
"Uh, you're welcome."
Rico puts his hands behind his head, like a bad business executive in a terrible movie.  I'm not sure if he's going to intimidating or powerful, because all he's getting from me is confused.  I get a hipster urge to Instagram the bottom of his shoe, but I suppress it.   

Comments

  1. I think I had come across this book once but it didn't interest me enough to take a proper look. After reading your review I am definitely avoiding it. Thanks for sharing and hope your next read is better :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, sad you didn’t like this one! I haven’t read it yet, but it did sound kinda good. Sorry it was a disappointment :( Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I am sad that it was so juvenile. I really thought that it sounded better
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. The premise of this book makes it sound like a fun read, but now that you've pointed out the weird sexual dares and stuff, I should probably stay away from it. I'll end up putting it down immediately anyway.

    Melissa @ The Reader and the Chef

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't sure about this one, but if it's a 30 year old guy preying on young girls?! Yeah, I'm out! That is awful! I am really sorry that this one went in such a bad direction, I hope your next book is much better!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beach Reads In August Giveaway Hop

I am so excited to be participating another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite beach reads books (above and each image is linked to the  goodreads  description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Snowed In? So Read Giveaway Hop!!

I am so excited to be participating in another giveaway hop, hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Stuck in Books ! Step One:  You get to choose  ONE  of my favorite books (above and each image is linked to the goodreads description) as a physical book or an ebook.  If the book you choose is part of a series, you can choose any book in that series.   If you choose the ebook option for the  Love Me With Lies series , you will get all three books in the series! Step Two:   Open Internationally as long as the Book Depository ships to you or you can receive an ebook! Step Three : Enter in the Rafflecopter below!  Good luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Check out the other participating blogs for more chances to win!

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): Should There Be ARCs?

First of all, thank you SO much for reading my very first "discussion" post .  The response was so amazing and I am so grateful to each and every one of you that took the time to read it.  I would like to preface my next discussion post in the same way -- nothing is new and I'm sure that this topic has been discussed by someone, somewhere but this is what is on my mind: SHOULD THERE BE ARCs? Truly, not everything I think about and write about is regarding Maggie Stiefvater's epic series, The Raven Cycle , but it just so happens that this discussion post will mention this series, too.   Those of us that are obsessed with this series (like me) know that there will not be any ARCs for the highly (HIGHLY) anticipated last book of this series, The Raven King . There will be no ARCs (advanced reader copies). Y'all are just going to have to trust me. https://t.co/xYDv0q1tXN — Maggie Stiefvater (@mstiefvater) December 5, 2015 Oddly, I think this ...