Skip to main content

Review: Blade Bound (Chicagoland Vampires #13) by Chloe Neill



Blurb from Goodreads:
The thrilling final installment of Chloe Neill’s New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series sees a sinister sorcery advancing across Chicago, and it may usher in the fall of Cadogan House… 

Since the night of her brutal attack and unwilling transformation to vampire, Merit’s stood as Sentinel and protector of Chicago’s Cadogan House. She's saved the Windy City from the forces of darkness time and again with her liege and lover, Ethan Sullivan, by her side.

When the House is infiltrated and Merit is attacked by a vampire seemingly under the sway of dark magic, Merit and Ethan realize the danger is closer than they could have ever imagined. As a malign sorcery spreads throughout the city, Merit must go to war against supernatural powers beyond her comprehension. It’s her last chance to save everything—and everyone—she loves.
My Review:
 
Series enders are necessarily bittersweet and I've been waiting for this one forever (pretty sure I've been reading this series for nearly ten years!).  So, yes, I had high expectations but I also was waiting for so many things to be wrapped up in this last book.  And, yes, ostensibly, all the threads were wrapped up but I can't help but feel disappointed by this end. If there is one thing I can point to it's that it tried too hard - it tried too hard to be funny, it tired too hard to be spectacular in the supernatural, it tried too hard to be romantic. And it failed a bit on all accounts.  Without spoiling you for the series if you haven't yet read it (and you absolutely should!), there was a prophecy throughout the latter half of the series.  I've been waiting anxiously for this prophecy - as to how it would occur - and it felt like a complete afterthought. Although I won't forget this last book, and yes everything wrapped up in it, my fondest memories from this series won't come from this book. That being said, this is still one of my overall favorite urban fantasy series and I think everyone should read it!
Blade Bound comes out later this month on April 25, 2017, and you can purchase HERE. While I'm sad to see this series end, it definitely felt like it was time after thirteen books and I can't wait to read what Chloe does next! #MEthan forever !
"Not to mention the fact that she's narcissistic and unpredictable. She has changed the weather. Endangered the lives of millions. Brought the city to a standstill because she could." He glanced at Mallory. "Because you didn't let her have her way at Towerline." 
"She's acting like a hormonal teenager," Lindsey said. "She is basically the worst Sweet Valley High novel ever written."

Comments

  1. I started this series years ago and then never read further for some reason. I'm so sad that the ending wasn't everything you hoped it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty disappointing when something is built up so much (the prophecy) and it doesn't deliver the big bang that it should. Uh, where's the pay-off? Sorry the series didn't end on a better note.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you were disappointed with this book. In my experience series enders are either mind blowing or disappointing with almost no in between. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that is sad! I mean, at least it wasn't a complete trainwreck, but still, it is hard when you are so excited for a conclusion and it doesn't deliver. I find that happening more and more lately and it is so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. series enders are very bitter sweet aren't they, it sounds like this one didn't meet up with expectations though. Sorry to hear about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooooo! Man this is a bummer. I haven't even touched a book in over a month so I haven't read this but I'm sad you didn't love it :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?