1. Every single book by Elin Hilderbrand is the perfect book for your beach reading! They are all set on Nantucket (or nearby) and usually have the most idyllic summer scenes. My favorite of hers is The Blue Bistro.
2. The Silver Strand series by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt -- no reason necessary!!
3. Even though the Rock Chick series is set in Denver, they are so good, so funny and you will read them so quick, which makes them perfect beach reads!
4. Rosalind James' Escape to New Zealand series is probably my favorite contemporary romance series out there right now! Just This Once is the first book but the entire series is great for beach reading -- all set in NZ and involving hot rugby players!!
5. Jennifer Crusie's books are more of my favorite contemporaries and Crazy For You is a hilarious, quick read that I devoured.
6. If you are looking for a series with more adventure and suspense than a typical contemporary, I definitely recommend the Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann about a team of Navy Seals. The first book is The Unsung Hero.
7. Continuing on the suspense romance trail, Kill and Tell by Linda Howard is perfectly thrilling and set in New Orleans!
8. If you are more interested in solving a crazy puzzle, Cypress Point by Diane Chamberlain will not disappoint. Plus it's set in Big Sur, one of my favorite places in the world (and one of the most beautiful!).
9. Things I Can't Forget is set at summer camp -- and it includes pretty much everything one could hope for in such a setting.
10. For those of us that truly love to read, this book is about that sort of addiction to reading, especially when you want to escape real life. I loved reading Literacy and Longing in L.A., if only because it was the first reference I remember to going on a book bender.